• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would anyone in Somerset like any free hay?

KMazzy

Alpha Buck
Hay (haha) guys,

My Mum bought me a bale of hay on Friday and I don't think my bun is going to eat it :cry:

She was buying aubiose from a horse feed shop and they had hay as well for £5 a bale and I thought she may as well get one to try out as it's so cheap.

I have been trying to encourage Jaffa to eat it but he has been turning his nose up. Normally he goes crazy for fresh hay but with this he has just nibbled a strand then hopped off. His preferred hay is P@H timothy but that's crazy expensive so I am trying to wean him onto something cheaper and nicer (which I don't have to get from P@H). I think I will have to buy some timothy hay online as clearly meadow hay is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

So anyway, I have a bale of hay, and with just one bun there's only so much I can use for litter/bedding/occasional nibbles. Even if I get Jaffy a friend who likes this hay I will still have way too much.

Would anyone with less fussy buns like any of my hay? You'd have to come fetch it but you can have it for free!!! Otherwise I will have to start finding creative uses for hay.

hi :wave: i would love some hay if you dont mind! also, have you trued hay for pets hay? they do a free sample one their website and my bun went crazy for the ings :D

hi :wave: i would love some hay if you dont mind! also, have you trued hay for pets hay? they do a free sample one their website and my bun went crazy for the ings :D

Are you passing by Taunton anytime soon?

I was going to try some from thehayexperts.co.uk as they sell other things and I wanted to get some of the fabled fenugreek crunchies!

I can envisage a house full of loads of different unwanted hays! I had to buy some emergency hay a while ago from Wilko and he HATED that (although that's understandable as it wasn't very nice). But my hay bale is lovely and fresh and smells nice.

He has eaten all his bedding straw in protest! :?

I'm too far away for the free hay, but wanted to say if you wanted to try fenugreeks (they've turned my buns into addicts!!) www.Pet-Supermarket.co.uk (think that is the address!) have them for 2.89 and free delivery. They are also on the quidco cash back website so you can get an extra few pence back if you go via them.

My buns love the Hay4Pets Timothy and Rye. I get the biggest bag and it seems like loads for the money. I might get the sample pack as they havn't had the others from there for a while.

I'm too far away for the free hay, but wanted to say if you wanted to try fenugreeks (they've turned my buns into addicts!!) www.Pet-Supermarket.co.uk (think that is the address!) have them for 2.89 and free delivery. They are also on the quidco cash back website so you can get an extra few pence back if you go via them.

My buns love the Hay4Pets Timothy and Rye. I get the biggest bag and it seems like loads for the money. I might get the sample pack as they havn't had the others from there for a while.

They are £2.39 on hayexperts.co.uk so I might try them first with some Timothy hay. Plus probably get the sample from Hay4Pets just to see if the little pest really will only eat Timothy. And thank you for the quidco tip - I will use it! (Although I am annoyed with them at the moment as I have some big outstanding payments from last year and I want them to pay up!)

You could use some of it instead of the bedding straw, especially as the weather is warmer now.
Straw doesn't have the same digestive or nutritional value as hay. So if they eat the bedding, hay is better.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2009/12/11/difference-hay-staw/

If no-one on here wants the bale you could put it on Freecycle.

Might have to resort to Freecycle - there should be plenty of horse owners round here who could come and fetch it.

He normally nibbles on a bit of his straw - especially when it's fresh down. But I think he started eating it more keenly when he decided he didn't like the new hay. I guess he just prefers a big flat stalky hay rather than a thinner style. It'll be interesting to see what he makes of grass once I get a run for outdoors.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner! I was meant to be coming to Taunton at the end of the week but I'm not now :( thank you though!

Try freecycle or your local facebook version of it, hopefully someone local will appreciate some of your spare.

Don't give up on it too soon though sometimes bunnies are just fussy. Try mixing the two types together and see if that helps :)

KMazzy have you tried willowbrook nursery near wellington? They sell lovely hay from a local organic farm, think it's around £3 a bag or 5 bags for £12. It's all my 2 will eat now so once a month I have to make the drive up from exeter just to get them some :roll:

where abouts in Taunton are you?
OH is going to to the dentist in bridgewater next Tuesday. :D

My recommendation would be hay for pets too, but you're quite close to monkton elm garden centre so you could try their stuff - went down quite well with ours and about the same price as hay for pets I think. :wave:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner! I was meant to be coming to Taunton at the end of the week but I'm not now :( thank you though!

Oh - don't worry! It's not going anywhere yet though so if you are likely to come anytime in the next few weeks/months I could save it for you?

Don't give up on it too soon though sometimes bunnies are just fussy. Try mixing the two types together and see if that helps :)

I tried that - he just picks out the timothy and leaves the rest! At least with the cheap meadow hay I had in an emergency he threw it on the floor. This he just leaves there like it's not even worth his effort to get rid of it!

KMazzy have you tried willowbrook nursery near wellington? They sell lovely hay from a local organic farm, think it's around £3 a bag or 5 bags for £12. It's all my 2 will eat now so once a month I have to make the drive up from exeter just to get them some :roll:

I haven't but I am willing to try anything - thank you! Realistically though, an online supplier will probably work better since I don't have a car. Willowbrook is only 5 miles away so I could run there and walk home with the hay I guess! Good exercise! He'll probably just turn his nose up at that too. I could open a hay shop in my house!

where abouts in Taunton are you?
OH is going to to the dentist in bridgewater next Tuesday. :D

My recommendation would be hay for pets too, but you're quite close to monkton elm garden centre so you could try their stuff - went down quite well with ours and about the same price as hay for pets I think. :wave:

I'm pretty close to the town centre - how well do you know Taunton?

Monkton Elm is only 4 miles - I could run there! It's a shame both Monkton Elm and Willowbrook are on roads it'd be horrible to run along though.

I'm pretty close to the town centre - how well do you know Taunton?

Monkton Elm is only 4 miles - I could run there! It's a shame both Monkton Elm and Willowbrook are on roads it'd be horrible to run along though.
He says he knows it reasonably well, do you want to PM me what road you're in and I'll see if he knows where it is?

Back