• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What flea treatment do you use

I've never used any flea treatment for my rabbits.
It is very unusual for them to get fleas - have you seen any?

No not at all, but the rescue centre used advantage on them. But I guess they had to as they quite often had wild rabbits floating around x

No not at all, but the rescue centre used advantage on them. But I guess they had to as they quite often had wild rabbits floating around x

See what you mean.

I really don't believe using anything as a routine (such as Panacur or flea treatment) unless there are obvious signs it is needed.

I do use flea and worm treatments routinely for my cats because they are out and about.

I used advantage when my rabbits managed to pick up fleas. I don't use anything since, for a start it was so expensive and they don't really need it.

I don't. I give Noogles a bath once a fortnight and it works. I clicker trained her to sit in an empty large container while the other container has water in it. Then I'd slowly pour the water over her body whilst giving treats. Sometimes she hops out when she needs to poo. I'd dry her using several towels and then keep her on top of a self heating mat for a bit. Takes 2-3hrs for her fur to dry up. For the hutch I use white wine vinegar.

:wave: please don't bath your bunny, it's not necessary and it's more likely to do harm than good in the long run I'm afraid. Aside from the stress which can itself lead to illness, (the stress will still be there even if bunny is clicker trained to behave themselves!) it will strip the natural oils from bunny's fur and leave them susceptible to infections. If she normally lives outside, the temperature differential between bath/drying/heat mat/ outdoors will also make her extremely uncomfortable and again susceptible to I'll health. They're not like humans who need bathing to keep them clean, they do that themselves and bathing is not a necessary addition. If she is in her own hutch she shouldn't get fleas anyway, most bunnies don't - and where bunnies do get fleas this is usually because a cat/dog has introduced them to the house and bunny, in which case the most appropriate treatment is to treat the cat/dog and house (and use the right spot on treatment for bunny if necessary), not to bathe bunny.

Not having a go at all - I'm just worried that you may think that you're doing the right thing, but unfortunately it's not necessary or good for your bunny at all I'm afraid. Xx

I don't. I give Noogles a bath once a fortnight and it works. I clicker trained her to sit in an empty large container while the other container has water in it. Then I'd slowly pour the water over her body whilst giving treats. Sometimes she hops out when she needs to poo. I'd dry her using several towels and then keep her on top of a self heating mat for a bit. Takes 2-3hrs for her fur to dry up. For the hutch I use white wine vinegar.

It really isn't necessary to bath rabbits - unless they are ill and then sometimes they need a bit of a wash at their rear ends, but even then they shouldn't be wet through, just enough water to clean them up. Bathing them isn't a good thing at all.

Seems a bit of a long process, and like other posters have said Bunnys don't need baths unless for a medical reason x

Back