• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it weird for men to have pet rabbits?

ashton

Young Bun
Ok so kind of a random thread but a recent event got me thinking, is it strange for a male to care/ have an interest in keeping pet rabbits and be involved with rabbit welfare?

The event-

My nan was in her garden the other day picking dandelions to give to me for the buns when her elderly neighbour asked her what she was doing, my nan replied with picking dandelions for my grandsons rabbits, her neighbour then said "well how old is he then?" My nan said you know how old he is you've seen him and her neighbour then said " ooer bit weird keeping rabbits at his age isn't it?" (I'm 20)

I won't say what her reply was as its probably not the type of language that can be used on this site :lol:

But it did get me thinking that maybe it is kind of strange, I mean it's not one of the stereotypical interests of a man

Having said that I am not only interested in animal welfare, I love caring for the rabbits and guinea pigs but also have a passion for animal welfare in general

Just wondered what you all thought :)

I don't think so. Interest in/love of animals is actually quite attractive! For me anyway, I actually turn people down if they ask me out for a drink etc if I know they're not keen on animals :lol:

nope. not odd. some of my male pupils, 16ish, have been rabbit-keepers. one came from a farm in foreign parts, and gave his animals a lot of care and attention because they reminded him of home. he always found out what was best for them and did it. i hope he still has his animals - he'll be 19 or 20 now.

My OH had guinea pigs before we met (he was 23) and was really enthusiastic about getting rabbits. He loves them to bits and says he always wants to have a couple knocking about :lol:

Not weird at all, it's lovely.

There's a few other men on here who love their rabbits, so it might not be your normal pet for men but it's not unheard of or weird :wave:

It might be fairly uncommon compared to guys owning cats or dogs, but to me it's awesome :D

I love a guy who has his own mind and can go against the grain no matter what anyone else thinks :love:

If you don't like pets (whether you are a man or a woman) you're not a good person.
Two (male) colleagues have pets and it's no surprise I like them better than the rest.
I know this young guy that breeds guinea pigs and that's not something you do to make money, he just likes them very much

No, one of my favourite things about my boyfriend (we're both 20 too) is that he loves animals just as much as I do. I couldn't live with someone that never wanted pets.

I asked a similar question when i first joined buddy.

I'm 26 and have three house rabbits. They are my house mates and much better than humans! LOL!

If you don't like pets (whether you are a man or a woman) you're not a good person.
Two (male) colleagues have pets and it's no surprise I like them better than the rest.
I know this young guy that breeds guinea pigs and that's not something you do to make money, he just likes them very much

:?

Bit of a ridiculous thing to say.

My husband dotes on our housebun and the joke is that he speaks terms of endearment to bun before he speaks to me:)

Not at all, I'm sure to any woman who loves animals a man that does also is a great catch, it shows care and compassion and responsibility, some men can be barely arsed looking after themselves so yeah it's great when they're willing to care for an animal when animals are so often misunderstood and neglected :)

Nothing worse than finding a seemingly nice guy and then finding out they're awful with animals, I mean like trying to hurt them. I don't mind if someone isn't keen on animals but if they do like them it's a definite bonus :)

It's definitely more unusual for men to keep rabbits than women, and a lot of people do see rabbits as children's pets so I can see why someone might think it's "weird" for a 20 year old male to have pet rabbits. There's certainly nothing wrong with it though.

My Dad doted on my childhood buns. Eddie hated all people but would tolerate my Dad giving him a noserub. :love: He could never do any 'health' stuff (bum baths etc) because he was afraid of hurting them...:love:

I dont feel weird but i think other people find it strange sometimes.
I would be lost without my buns,they are a major part of my life
and are part of our family.
So glad i found this forum as a lot of people dont get the bunny thing.
Male and proud to love buns.

I am really very lucky as Mike and I both love animals especially rabbits and we often laugh and say if ever we parted there would be a huge argument over who was having the rabbits :lol::lol:

Ross thought rabbits were boring before he met angel :)

He loves them so much now and always tells them :)

It really makes ne so happy to see him snuggled up to our furry babies :)

This thread has made me feel all smiley and happy :)( and I've had a bad day) :lol:
I do agree that guys who care about animals is something that attracts ne to them as well.

Back