PDA

View Full Version : Is it weird for men to have pet rabbits?

ashton
12-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Ok so kind of a random thread but a recent event got me thinking, is it strange for a male to care/ have an interest in keeping pet rabbits and be involved with rabbit welfare?

The event-

My nan was in her garden the other day picking dandelions to give to me for the buns when her elderly neighbour asked her what she was doing, my nan replied with picking dandelions for my grandsons rabbits, her neighbour then said "well how old is he then?" My nan said you know how old he is you've seen him and her neighbour then said " ooer bit weird keeping rabbits at his age isn't it?" (I'm 20)

I won't say what her reply was as its probably not the type of language that can be used on this site :lol:

But it did get me thinking that maybe it is kind of strange, I mean it's not one of the stereotypical interests of a man

Having said that I am not only interested in animal welfare, I love caring for the rabbits and guinea pigs but also have a passion for animal welfare in general

Just wondered what you all thought :)

chul
12-05-2013, 06:15 PM
No!! Men who love animals are the best type of men!

chloemurray
12-05-2013, 06:17 PM
I don't think so. Interest in/love of animals is actually quite attractive! For me anyway, I actually turn people down if they ask me out for a drink etc if I know they're not keen on animals :lol:

happybun
12-05-2013, 06:19 PM
nope. not odd. some of my male pupils, 16ish, have been rabbit-keepers. one came from a farm in foreign parts, and gave his animals a lot of care and attention because they reminded him of home. he always found out what was best for them and did it. i hope he still has his animals - he'll be 19 or 20 now.

bethepoet
12-05-2013, 06:20 PM
My OH had guinea pigs before we met (he was 23) and was really enthusiastic about getting rabbits. He loves them to bits and says he always wants to have a couple knocking about :lol:

Not weird at all, it's lovely.

steph182
12-05-2013, 06:21 PM
There's a few other men on here who love their rabbits, so it might not be your normal pet for men but it's not unheard of or weird :wave:

Gemmapookie
12-05-2013, 06:24 PM
It might be fairly uncommon compared to guys owning cats or dogs, but to me it's awesome :D

I love a guy who has his own mind and can go against the grain no matter what anyone else thinks :love:

Rufus
12-05-2013, 06:29 PM
If you don't like pets (whether you are a man or a woman) you're not a good person.
Two (male) colleagues have pets and it's no surprise I like them better than the rest.
I know this young guy that breeds guinea pigs and that's not something you do to make money, he just likes them very much

Charlotte_Jordanna
12-05-2013, 06:33 PM
No, one of my favourite things about my boyfriend (we're both 20 too) is that he loves animals just as much as I do. I couldn't live with someone that never wanted pets.

oldmcdonaldsfarm
12-05-2013, 06:40 PM
I asked a similar question when i first joined buddy.

I'm 26 and have three house rabbits. They are my house mates and much better than humans! LOL!

bethepoet
12-05-2013, 06:43 PM
If you don't like pets (whether you are a man or a woman) you're not a good person.
Two (male) colleagues have pets and it's no surprise I like them better than the rest.
I know this young guy that breeds guinea pigs and that's not something you do to make money, he just likes them very much

:?

Bit of a ridiculous thing to say.

bunkin
12-05-2013, 07:11 PM
My husband dotes on our housebun and the joke is that he speaks terms of endearment to bun before he speaks to me:)

OwnedByRabbits
12-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Not at all weird, i find it attractive too,

DemiS
12-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Not at all, I'm sure to any woman who loves animals a man that does also is a great catch, it shows care and compassion and responsibility, some men can be barely arsed looking after themselves so yeah it's great when they're willing to care for an animal when animals are so often misunderstood and neglected :)

Nothing worse than finding a seemingly nice guy and then finding out they're awful with animals, I mean like trying to hurt them. I don't mind if someone isn't keen on animals but if they do like them it's a definite bonus :)

tulsi
12-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Its more unusual for men to be rabbit lovers but its great :wave:

BattleKat
12-05-2013, 07:38 PM
It's definitely more unusual for men to keep rabbits than women, and a lot of people do see rabbits as children's pets so I can see why someone might think it's "weird" for a 20 year old male to have pet rabbits. There's certainly nothing wrong with it though.

dizzyg
12-05-2013, 08:30 PM
My Dad doted on my childhood buns. Eddie hated all people but would tolerate my Dad giving him a noserub. :love: He could never do any 'health' stuff (bum baths etc) because he was afraid of hurting them...:love:

mollyjoker
12-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I dont feel weird but i think other people find it strange sometimes.
I would be lost without my buns,they are a major part of my life
and are part of our family.
So glad i found this forum as a lot of people dont get the bunny thing.
Male and proud to love buns.

Tuckerbunnies
12-05-2013, 08:53 PM
I am really very lucky as Mike and I both love animals especially rabbits and we often laugh and say if ever we parted there would be a huge argument over who was having the rabbits :lol::lol:

natsusakura
12-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Ross thought rabbits were boring before he met angel :)

He loves them so much now and always tells them :)

It really makes ne so happy to see him snuggled up to our furry babies :)

This thread has made me feel all smiley and happy :)( and I've had a bad day) :lol:
I do agree that guys who care about animals is something that attracts ne to them as well.

happybun
12-05-2013, 09:33 PM

i never knew you were male until now!

Lea-Anne
12-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't think I could be with a man who did not love animals, regardless of species. But men who like rabbits are the best. :love: Rabbits are delicate creatures and to be gentle enough to own them is a very attractive trait. :love:

My husband is the softest ever with our rabbits. He's an amateur boxer and he had a fight the other night which he won. He said to me yesterday his facebook is full of pics cuddling our rabbits then one of his lamping his opponent one :lol:

Jojo123
12-05-2013, 09:58 PM
My OH loves the bunnies although if he was in male company he wouldnt admit it! You will never lose with a chat up line of... you want to come and see my bunnies! Girls love animals (Most anyway im sure there is a few that dont) I think its great, there is nothing better than a man who cares for animals :thumb:

Toffee pops
12-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Im a male dude and i have 9 gorgeous rabbits.

Beau Belle
12-05-2013, 10:21 PM
My OH is in his 40's, ex-army and absolutely besotted with our three buns. He gets up at 7am to feed them, buys them treats and spends hours with them on the floor...and doesn't care who knows. I think it's cute.

les&bev
12-05-2013, 10:27 PM
me and bev have house buns, i am 44 and don't care at all what people think.
i rather have a house bun than any other animal.

its so nice to come home to see a little happy face that want to see you when you get in from work.

the funny part is it was 2 other joiner that told me about house rabbits and how good it was.
all blokes in there 30's and 40's.

les

biscandmatt1
12-05-2013, 10:42 PM
no, not weird at all. best type of men are the ones who love animals in my opinion. my o/h adores them. :love:

Hele
12-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Nope not weird at all :p

My OH was in the 'rabbits are boring camp' then we got one and he fell in love :love: I heard him explaining to his brother why rabbits make awesome pets the other day :lol: :love:

I also find men who care about animals attractive, maybe it's as simple as recognising a shared passion? I know I probably wouldn't be happy with someone who didn't care about pets.

silverrabbit
12-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Guys who like bunnies = AMAZING :D deffo not weird IMO but I guess people still think of them as pets for kids. Some cow at the vets told me to "grow up" once :evil: idiot doesn't know what she's missing :roll:

dizzyg
13-05-2013, 07:14 AM
GrahamL on here has them in his office! He works from home and his buns keep him company!

:love:

parsnipbun
13-05-2013, 07:32 AM
As well as my partner (who adores the rabbits and is much better with them than I am and does all the hand rearing and illness treatments) - there is also a great guy called Gary who does stuff for Rabbit residence AND runs a brilliant website about rabbits including his own Whisky who he adores.

http://bunniestotherescue.blogspot.co.uk

and this is the one my partner ran for Parsley (now running for Parsley Piert) http://parsleyswarren.org

Alvins mummy
13-05-2013, 08:07 AM
My hubby was just as excited a my daughter and I when we got Alvin, we spent weeks trying to name him together.

He love all our bunnies and was just as heart broken as I when Roxy died. Xx

Aly&Poppy<3
13-05-2013, 08:10 AM
My bf loves animals in general :love: he liked the rabbits before but when Poppy got poorly and had to move in with him he became smitten, no matter how much she wees on the bed or has taken over his room :lol:

GrahamL
13-05-2013, 08:16 AM
GrahamL on here has them in his office! He works from home and his buns keep him company!

:love:

:wave:

Lobo
13-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I hope it isn't too weird I have had rabbits for 22 years now, along with parrots and skinks.

Fifibutton
13-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Its not weird at all. Historically it was men (monks) who domesticated and bred rabbits and developed and learned all about their behaviour. Horses too were once a prevailing interest of men whereas nowadays more females have an interest in horses and rabbits. These things tend to rotate.

My OH is responsible for us adopting several of our rabbits, he named them, wanted them and does everything for them. He cried when one was pts recently. I agree with the other ladies who say its more attractive to women to see a man be nice to animals, it shows you care and have a tender side.

William
13-05-2013, 10:31 AM
No!! Men who love animals are the best type of men!

This! I wouldn't even date a boy that doesn't love animals. I'm obsessed with animals so he'd have to be too.

It really doesn't make any sense why age or gender would matter at all when it comes to animals.

Rhianna
13-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm 51 and still single and would love to find a man who had pet rabbits. A guy who will accept indoor bunnies is a 'must' but someone who actually had his own buns would be wonderful.

My last two exes both coped well with bunnies in the bedroom when I was bonding. It really is a case of 'love me, love my fur family'. Guess I will stay single for a lot longer :(:(

dizzyg
13-05-2013, 10:55 AM
:wave:

Oh hai Graham! How are your furry and non furry family?

Noserubs for GingerBiscuit and cuddles for MrsL and bubba.

x

Hesperus
13-05-2013, 11:47 AM
It's unusual but I think it's lovely if a man likes bunnies. :love:

Mackers
13-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Definitely not weird. In fact, I think most women find it attractive if a man shows compassion towards animals :thumb:. You'll probably find more men would like to keep small furries but are put off by their peer group laughing at them or making jokes. It's such a shame.

BattleKat
13-05-2013, 12:59 PM
You'll probably find more men would like to keep small furries but are put off by their peer group laughing at them or making jokes. It's such a shame.
I agree. OH and I worked with a man for several years and he never mentioned the fact he kept rabbits until he saw some photos of my OH with the bunnies on facebook. He talked about them non-stop once he knew we had them and weren't going to laugh at him :lol:

xlaurax
13-05-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't think it's weird. My tattooist is a 20 stone tough guy covered in tattoos and piercings (with a red mohawk) and he keeps guineas and hammies, people are always surprised to find that out!

My OH loves the buns as much as I do. I think it says a lot about him :D

SiDHEaD
13-05-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm 30 (2foot-buck) and we've got 4 housebuns that I love to bits. I do most of the husbandry for them - OH mainly just does the cuddling, calling them cute and issuing nose-rubs unless I'm away LOL

I know some of our friends think it's a bit strange but they are the ones missing out! OK they have their moments of destruction, but a house without them would be rubbish! They certainly cheer you up no matter how crud your day has been or what's going on in your life. I do have to actively limit the amount of time I spend talking about them when with friends though lol :oops:.

Jolysium
13-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I think it's an excellent quality in a man! You may find responses to your question on here are somewhat biased though :lol: I definitely agree with whoever said men are less likely to admit to it though, you'd never realise how attached my husband is to our bunnies when he talks about them to other men!

Mirth
13-05-2013, 02:10 PM
It's because rabbits are seen as children's pets for little girls, if she had said you had a bearded dragon or a dog, they wouldn't have commented like that because they are seen as "adult pets or suitable for men." same with hamsters. It's just a stigma they're attached with, but it's not weird at all.

It's actually a sexy attribute in men :love::love:

Gemmapookie
13-05-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm 30 (2foot-buck) and we've got 4 housebuns that I love to bits. I do most of the husbandry for them - OH mainly just does the cuddling, calling them cute and issuing nose-rubs unless I'm away LOL

I know some of our friends think it's a bit strange but they are the ones missing out! OK they have their moments of destruction, but a house without them would be rubbish! They certainly cheer you up no matter how crud your day has been or what's going on in your life. I do have to actively limit the amount of time I spend talking about them when with friends though lol :oops:.

:thumb::D

Jaysmonkey
13-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Not at all.

My dearest other half is the perfect daddy to our 4 fur children (bunnies) and shelled Child (tortoise).

There is most certainly nothing wrong with such a breed of man :D

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/Jaysmonkey/SDC15262.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/Jaysmonkey/media/SDC15262.jpg.html)

SiDHEaD
13-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Not at all.

My dearest other half is the perfect daddy to our 4 fur children (bunnies) and shelled Child (tortoise).

We have a 4 plus tortillian setup too :) What sort of tortoise do you have?

Jaysmonkey
13-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Our torty is a horsefield called tinks...or Tinkasaurus. :) How about you? Xx

SiDHEaD
13-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Our torty is a horsefield called tinks...or Tinkasaurus. :) How about you? Xx

Cool :D We have a 7yr old Marginated called George :) He's such a character! He waves at us when we talk to him!

Rufus
14-05-2013, 07:53 AM
and if you doubt that men can't like or love bunnies

http://www.wimp.com/onebunny/

:D

Fellie
14-05-2013, 09:53 AM
It was Me&bobo (my hubby) who introduced me to rabbits - he brought Bobo home:thumb: He did promise to feed and clean etc - but somehow I've ended up doing all that for all our little beasties.:lol:

I am so grateful that I have a hubby that loves animals as much as - if not more than - me! Will make life so simple when I bring home my Tibetan Mastive dog....:love:

happysaz133
14-05-2013, 10:42 AM

I wouldn't say they are not a good person, but I certainly don't like people who don't like pets/animals.

Nyx
14-05-2013, 01:16 PM
It's not weird at all. I was actually watch a show on Animal Planet and there was some club or something raising Netherland Dwarfs and the reason I remember was all the members were blokes. Despite what most people would have you believe you don't have to walk around with a staffie or pitbull to be manley. My boyfriend helps me with my rabbits he especially adores Coco when she tries sneaking up on him and investigating his feet....in short REAL MEN LOVE RABBITS!!

ashton
19-05-2013, 09:17 PM
I asked a similar question when i first joined buddy.

I'm 26 and have three house rabbits. They are my house mates and much better than humans! LOL!

Great to see there is some other men on here with pet rabbits like myself :thumb:

ashton
19-05-2013, 09:20 PM
My Dad doted on my childhood buns. Eddie hated all people but would tolerate my Dad giving him a noserub. :love: He could never do any 'health' stuff (bum baths etc) because he was afraid of hurting them...:love:

:D great dad!

ashton
19-05-2013, 09:22 PM

I love how everyone on here is helpful to others and understand us that have an interest/love for rabbits on here too :thumb:

ashton
19-05-2013, 09:23 PM
I don't think I could be with a man who did not love animals, regardless of species. But men who like rabbits are the best. :love: Rabbits are delicate creatures and to be gentle enough to own them is a very attractive trait. :love:

My husband is the softest ever with our rabbits. He's an amateur boxer and he had a fight the other night which he won. He said to me yesterday his facebook is full of pics cuddling our rabbits then one of his lamping his opponent one :lol:

Haha, this is great

ashton
19-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Im a male dude and i have 9 gorgeous rabbits.

:thumb:

ashton
19-05-2013, 09:24 PM
me and bev have house buns, i am 44 and don't care at all what people think.
i rather have a house bun than any other animal.

its so nice to come home to see a little happy face that want to see you when you get in from work.

the funny part is it was 2 other joiner that told me about house rabbits and how good it was.
all blokes in there 30's and 40's.

les

:thumb: I agree

ashton
19-05-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm 51 and still single and would love to find a man who had pet rabbits. A guy who will accept indoor bunnies is a 'must' but someone who actually had his own buns would be wonderful.

My last two exes both coped well with bunnies in the bedroom when I was bonding. It really is a case of 'love me, love my fur family'. Guess I will stay single for a lot longer :(:(

I'm sure you will find someone with as much of an interest as you there is more of us about that I thought to begin with :D

ashton
19-05-2013, 09:27 PM

Totally agree :thumb: