• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there type of pellet rabbits can eat unlimited amount of?

Why do you need a hay replacement?

Prefer not derailing this thread with a lengthy discussion on the why. Any recommended entirely made from hay type of pellets that's good for maybe several days to 1-2 weeks? I'd give that instead of hay and add a small amount of normal pellets and veg.

I know they aren't pellets, but Excel's food cubes are a complete diet. Mixed hay, pellets, veggies. That's all that I know of that would be suitable is no hay is being fed

I know they aren't pellets, but Excel's food cubes are a complete diet. Mixed hay, pellets, veggies. That's all that I know of that would be suitable is no hay is being fed

But if it's mixed I can't give too much. I want the hay pellets separate from veg. :(

As far as I know, the answer is no, there's no substitute for the real thing.

My vet said that the actual length of the hay and grass fibres stimulates the inside of the gut, so having it in pellets wouldn't be a full subsitute anyway.

So, I think your best bet would be the food cubes suggested above. :wave:

I think galens garden do hay pellets. BUT they are not suitable replacements for hay, it's the strands of hay that keep the teeth worn down, it's an essential part of their diet.

The importance of hay is the chewing action, so the amount of time the teeth move back and forth over the surface of a piece of hay. Although you can mush up grass and make a pellet and get the right amount of fibre, you then lose that chewing action. As rabbits teeth grow a several mm a month even a couple of weeks can effect the teeth.

If you explain the reason behind it we might be able to suggest other options for you. For example, if you can't get hold of hay, you can use fresh grass. Or if you have trouble getting your bun to eat hay you could try readi grass.

The importance of hay is the chewing action, so the amount of time the teeth move back and forth over the surface of a piece of hay. Although you can mush up grass and make a pellet and get the right amount of fibre, you then lose that chewing action. As rabbits teeth grow a several mm a month even a couple of weeks can effect the teeth.

If you explain the reason behind it we might be able to suggest other options for you. For example, if you can't get hold of hay, you can use fresh grass. Or if you have trouble getting your bun to eat hay you could try readi grass.

:thumb:

Prefer not derailing this thread with a lengthy discussion on the why. Any recommended entirely made from hay type of pellets that's good for maybe several days to 1-2 weeks? I'd give that instead of hay and add a small amount of normal pellets and veg.

If you could give the reason as to why you need a pellet made of hay people may be able to give the right advice x

Back