• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

still not wanting to eat u/d 23.05.13

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Evan was at the Edinburgh vet school and again they were wonderful I got him home on medication cisapride,zantac and metacam.
There was no blockage just bowel inflammation but he won't eat and I'm easily getting in sub cut fluids and syringe food which in itself is concerning.
Now he's pooping and has good gut sounds and I'm reluctant to take him to vet as its 15 minute drive which will end in full blown stasis (i have contacted vet and I've to continue supportive care).
How do I get him to eat? I've tried greens herbs hay grass nothing is tempting him I am monitoring closely if anything changes I will take him in straight away

Last edited:
Could he be not eating due to the stress of all the hands on care ?

If he has gut sounds and output would a 'watch but dont touch' approach be worth a go for a while ?

I think you May be right and the stress is a factor I've been leaving him as long as possible without syringe feeding and fluids but in between no eating I'm trying to get the right balance. Gave him fluids at 8 this morning and so far nothing eaten if no improvement I will give him more at same time he's due his last metacam along with more food
What's more concerning is no interest in food even if put straight in front of him :?

The vet school couldn't determine he had ingested some cardboard but they are thinking stress was the primary cause I had builders in and he does stress quite a bit about everything, xray and ultrasound show an inflammed entrance to his caecum hence the metacam they had him on vetergesic whilst hospitalised
They feel he gets to stressed their and that he will recover better at home.
Demeanor wise he is a little more withdrawn today although has produced two big binkies in the last half hour still seems to be overly intersted in newspaper etc

The vet school couldn't determine he had ingested some cardboard but they are thinking stress was the primary cause I had builders in and he does stress quite a bit about everything, xray and ultrasound show an inflammed entrance to his caecum hence the metacam they had him on vetergesic whilst hospitalised
They feel he gets to stressed their and that he will recover better at home.
Demeanor wise he is a little more withdrawn today although has produced two big binkies in the last half hour still seems to be overly intersted in newspaper etc

Was his cecum very full on the Xray ?

The anorexia and craving cardboard/paper sounds like cecal impaction to me.

It was originally but had become less so over his 2 day hospital stay, I can't feel any hard bits in his abdomen and he seems more relaxed than previously I've to call the vet again at 10 this evening but may need to take him back to hospital :cry:

It was originally but had become less so over his 2 day hospital stay, I can't feel any hard bits in his abdomen and he seems more relaxed than previously I've to call the vet again at 10 this evening but may need to take him back to hospital :cry:

That may make him more stressed though :?

Did they prescribe Lactulose along with the fluid therapy ?

No lactulose as things are moving through just not much. I would like to keep him at home as travelling with him is an absolute nightmare I'm keeping an eye on him and leaving him alone as much as possible just hoping he will turn the corner but this is his 4th bout of stasis since January with no real cause isolated so far

The scarring on his lungs from his pneumonia bouts but other than that all healthy full haematoloy and biochemistry all normal and now negative for E-cuniculi. Has had dentals but vet think secondary to the stasis episodes

I notice you say he was interested in newspaper? Does he eat a lot of it? If so I believe that could cause impaction.

Just thinking aloud for you!

He did but I have withdrawn it from him I think this could have been the main problem thus time exacerbated by the stress of the builders however even after meds hospital treatment he is still interested in things he shouldn't which isnthhis normal routine. After a few days intensive care and iv fluids he normally picks at food but this time no interest what so ever :?

Woo hoo one basil leaf has been munched not much but first thing he's taken voluntarily in 24 hours I think he heard the word vet

I think as long as he has gut sounds and output (as Jane said) I would just take a step back. Leave him be, but keep an eye on him. My buns won't eat if they are being "made" to after an episode of stasis. Left to their own devices they eventually will.

Ahh...I often find herbs will tempt them when nothing else will Mine won't even sniff basil though. :roll:
What does of metacam is he on? Perhaps it needs an increase by the vet or it just hasn't really worked yet?
And his bloods were all normal? No sign of infection/bacterial or fungal?
What kind of hay does he normally eat? Would he take interest in something a bit more coarse like mature oat? That's what I give my buns when they start eating things like litter pellets or bedding. Dries up the insides a bit but I just increase water intake and they normalize after a few days.
I'm sorry he a stressful bun. :( It's hard to treat because they pick up on our stress too. :(
I hope he is feeling better soon. (((((((((Healing and nomming vibes)))))))))
((((Hugs))))) for you. xxxx

He is on 0.82mls metacam twice daily everything on his bloods were fine no sign of any problem except the haematology showed signs of inflammation being present which tied in with the x-ray and ultrasound.
I have various hays on the go at one time Dana likes the variety at the minute green oat hay,ings hay,timothy and rye, excel herbage topped of with a sprinkling of readigrass :shock:

I do worry that I am not the right owner for him because he loves me to much if that makes sense. I am unwell at the minute and looking back was ill at his previous bouts of stasis as well. So I think I'm making him ill.
I had long chat about this with the vet and considered rehoming him but I think that stress would be to much for him so I just need to relax I think and try not to stress around him he is a lovely boy and I have truly bonded with him but he is a nightmare to do anything with

Still not eating great but have got some plantain and blackberry leaves into him and 4 massive binkies this morning so fingers crossed he's on the mend

Still not eating great but have got some plantain and blackberry leaves into him and 4 massive binkies this morning so fingers crossed he's on the mend

Sounds promising

Hopefully he will be back to normal within the next couple of days. Recovery from gut stasis can be so slow and it makes for such a stressful time for us.

Disaster stopped eating no gut sounds I have been told to up his sub cut fluids his syringe feeding keep on with his meds and if no improvement by lunch time back to the vet school for more investigations I fear we are running out of options for this wee man

Back