• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bucks ..

Freddie218

New Kit
Hey I am really tempted to get my lion head a new friend I've seen the breeder who I got Freddie from has another lion head for sale.

Freddie is about 12 weeks now would it be a good idea or bad ?! X

Hey I am really tempted to get my lion head a new friend I've seen the breeder who I got Freddie from has another lion head for sale.

Freddie is about 12 weeks now would it be a good idea or bad ?! X

I would wait till he is neutered as to bucks together may fight. The best bond is a neutered male and a spayed female x

I have two bucks who have been together since babies and went to the vet together to get neutered. They have now fallen out (bad fight) so I have to keep them separate. Not ideal. A rescue would be able to advise you on bonding and you could take Freddie along to choose his new mate (spayed female being the best option). Best of luck. :wave:

I had two brothers, bought at 7 weeks who started fighting really badly at 3 months. One had to be on meds for the damage to his testicles, and he still has a couple of scars from the main fight which happened over night when we were not around. We separated them after that, and divided the garden so they could still exercise. Unfortunately the more aggressive rabbit died whilst being castrated. :cry:

I also had a family member whose two male rabbits were fine until about 3 years old and then spontaneously started fighting. :?

Best option is to get him neutered when he's old enough an then go to a rescue and adopt a spayed female. They should let him choose the doe that he likes, this means that they will be much more likely to bond. Rescuing is much better than buying from a breeder. 67,000 rabbits are in rescues all over the U.K and breeders are simply adding to this number. You could give a rescue rabbit another chance. They will also already be spayed, vaccinated and health checked. :thumb:

Best option is to get him neutered when he's old enough an then go to a rescue and adopt a spayed female. They should let him choose the doe that he likes, this means that they will be much more likely to bond. Rescuing is much better than buying from a breeder. 67,000 rabbits are in rescues all over the U.K and breeders are simply adding to this number. You could give a rescue rabbit another chance. They will also already be spayed, vaccinated and health checked. :thumb:

Very sound advice.
I would definitely not get another buck.

Thank you for Ur advice lucky enough the rabbit I liked the breeder wanted to keep anyway so I guess it was a good thing.

I've been looking at getting him nurtured a vet near me is charging around £86.00 for him.. How much did you guys pay !? Xx

How are they after the operation and how old was they when you got it done !? Xxx

Thank you for Ur advice lucky enough the rabbit I liked the breeder wanted to keep anyway so I guess it was a good thing.

I've been looking at getting him nurtured a vet near me is charging around £86.00 for him.. How much did you guys pay !? Xx

How are they after the operation and how old was they when you got it done !? Xxx

i payed £40

Last edited:
I paid £55 but that was 5 years ago. Fiver was 4 months old when I got him done but if you chat with your vet, they will let you know how old they'd do him.

Fiver kept following me about and humping me when he hit 4 months old. As soon as I got him neutered he calmed down and seem much more relaxed. He also started using the litter tray pretty much 100% of the time, with the odd poo done outside the tray. I think it usually take about 6 weeks for hormones to calm down after a neuter, so he could start bonding with a spayed female anytime after that.

Back