• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Opiate Induced 'Psychosis' ?

My vet will not use torbugesic. I did not press the matter as to why with her, but recently we were discussing anesthesia and pain relief for Mimzy after his dental and she mentioned it. I believe some of my animals have had it before but I think it's use has been discontinued (at my vet at least) due to how far down it drags the animal's consciousness when other drugs can have just as good a result without the heavy after effects.
I've not seen my pets have any psychosis, but I believe that the times torbugesic was used they became very heavily sedated.
Not certain if it is related to buprenophine? That is another (injectible) one for pain but it is also capable of heavily sedating an animal.
I'm sorry Jane, I wish I had more information for you. (((((Hugs))))) xxxx

My vet will not use torbugesic. I did not press the matter as to why with her, but recently we were discussing anesthesia and pain relief for Mimzy after his dental and she mentioned it. I believe some of my animals have had it before but I think it's use has been discontinued (at my vet at least) due to how far down it drags the animal's consciousness when other drugs can have just as good a result without the heavy after effects.
I've not seen my pets have any psychosis, but I believe that the times torbugesic was used they became very heavily sedated.
Not certain if it is related to buprenophine? That is another (injectible) one for pain but it is also capable of heavily sedating an animal.
I'm sorry Jane, I wish I had more information for you. (((((Hugs))))) xxxx

Thanks for replying

We have used Torb' before with other Rabbits. Michael had it during his last week (he had osteosarcoma) and it proved to be very beneficial. In fact it was less sedating than Vetergesic had been for him. That is why Dermot's extreme adverse reaction came as such a huge shock.

We have got Miss BP on Tramadol now and whilst it is giving good analgesic cover it is making her VERY drowsy. As her problem (arthritis) is chronic I question the quality of life if the Rabbit is in a sedated state most of the time.

We may try Dermot on Tramadol if we need additional analgesic cover. But after what happened with the Torb' and the fact that I know the effect Tramadol has on me (horrific hallucinations :shock:) I am very anxious about Dermot having it.

Back