• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur Overdose! So upset!

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I accidentally gave Dylan a Panacur overdose today - I estimate he had just over half a tube full. Rang Vet & he said to keep an eye on him but that he should be ok. Have done some research on the Internet & it seems to be the general opinion that even with an overdose the Panacur shouldn't have any major effect. I'm just so upset - been in floods of tears all afternoon at making such a stupid mistake (I was distracted & put the tube measure in the wrong place) :cry: :cry:
Dylan is none the wiser & is his usual bouncy self. Keeping my fingers crossed he'll stay that way or I'll never forgive myself :cry:

Oh I'm sure if the vet thought he was in any danger he would have told you and got you to bring him in. I bet he will be fine. We all make mistakes so don't beat yourself up about it :thumb:

Aww hugs. There was no malice intended and it's a genuine mistake,,,, None of us are perfect....

Dylan's fine... so try to to beat yourself up...

Fee x

Panacur is fairly innocuous so he should be absolutely fine....it would be quite difficult to overdose on it - it would take quite a large amount!

Were you using the rabbit paste? I have a hard enough time getting them to take one dose I can't imagine how he could have taken so much.

Back