• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update plus Metacam advice plz

BeccyTune

Young Bun
So post op check was today. Madam is bright and happier thank goodness but as the lovely vet was picking her up I noticed a large lump by her wound. She has a hernia due to surgery..... I don't bloody believe it. In four weeks Ludo will have to go back for op no2 and I have to keep her restricted and confined to her hutch when out side and I have a dog cage for in side so at least she can have a change of scenery. Poor love.

The vet didn't question when I asked for Metacam, 15 drops on her food a day. Question is can I split it? Does it have to be 15 drops all in one go? I won't put it in her food as she tends to launch her bowl, I will put it on something I know she will eat straight away.

Last edited:
metacam is actually better given twice a day. i don't know what 15 drops is in ml, which is what we get the dose given in though. but yes, you can split it twice a day. :wave:

Poor Ludo, with her hernia. Bless her :(

Yes Metacam can be split. You'll have to watch her carefully to make sure she gets her full dosage on her food, though. I've never really administered it on food, I've always put it straight in their mouth, so good luck!:D

Ive put the first dose on dandelion leaves and is was gone in seconds. Dont think we are going to have a problem there! She is not happy, she really wants to come out and play

Ive put the first dose on dandelion leaves and is was gone in seconds. Dont think we are going to have a problem there! She is not happy, she really wants to come out and play

most bunnies love metacam. ,my two go mental for it. bisc even tried to eat the syringe! :lol::love:

glad she is taking it well. :wave:

What dose everyone usually give? Trying to find a rough equivalent in "drops" as some drops are bigger than others. I don't want to make her overdose

Back