• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Young rabbits advice

BunnyMomx2

Young Bun
So I have indoor rabbits they have been with us around a week and have a huge dog crate and an attached pen plus Free range every night my question is they are totally terrified of us both are 8 weeks (brothers) I'm guessing they didn't get much handling so just after some advice I guess

My 3 year old doesn't really help I'm wondering if I should have waited to get rabbits until he's a bit older - I've even considered buying a shed for the bottom of the garden then I can move them outside so he can stop terrorising them :(

Where in the house are they living? Do they have a quiet space?

If you've only had them a week they will still be settling in and they'll need time to get used to you. Where did you get them from?

The best thing to do is to sit quietly in their room and ignore them, let them come to you in their own time. I bribed mine to like me by offering them a pellet when they came over to me! Now they associate me with food so they like me :lol:

Does your three year old understand that he can't be grabby around them? That would scare them, being prey animals. Maybe encourage him to sit with you too so they get used to you both and you can be sure he's not scaring them!

Sorry, I seem to have asked more questions than I've answered there!

As rabbits are prey animals they are usually very nervous of us humans and don't like to be handled. If you can find a quietish area for them where your son doesn't go much this would be better. The problem which could arise is due to the rabbits being scared they will start to nip anyone who seems to be threatening them. It is a defence mechanism and they have very sharp teeth.

Your other problem which lies ahead is as you have 2 boys they may well start to fight at around 12 - 14 weeks and would have to be separated. Most boys do fight, only a small percentage don't. This could be exacerbated by being "terrorised" by your son.

Thats awesome advice,

I dont want to move them outside as I feel they will have more contact with us inside, and as for moving them I have nowhere else as its only a 2 bed terraced house I have.

He usually leaves them alone if im honest but this is a learning curve for us all, I know the risks and im hoping because they are from the same litter they will be okay but if not ill deal with it when it happens Im not gonna make an issue where there isnt one right now they be off their rabbit check next week.

They live in a corner of the living room - which its mostly theirs because we only use that room first thing in the morning and in the evening the rest of the day were in the kitchen outside or have gone out. so they have a lot of peace and quiet..

and every evening we let them free range and me n my partner just sit on the floor (Barney came up onto my lap) last night so that was an improvement.

im wondering if ive bitten off more than I could chew. lol

Thats awesome advice,

I dont want to move them outside as I feel they will have more contact with us inside, and as for moving them I have nowhere else as its only a 2 bed terraced house I have.

He usually leaves them alone if im honest but this is a learning curve for us all, I know the risks and im hoping because they are from the same litter they will be okay but if not ill deal with it when it happens Im not gonna make an issue where there isnt one right now they be off their rabbit check next week.

They live in a corner of the living room - which its mostly theirs because we only use that room first thing in the morning and in the evening the rest of the day were in the kitchen outside or have gone out. so they have a lot of peace and quiet..

and every evening we let them free range and me n my partner just sit on the floor (Barney came up onto my lap) last night so that was an improvement.

im wondering if ive bitten off more than I could chew. lol

Well, it sounds like you are doing your best for them. There is so much advice to be had on here. I only had two rabbits when I first found this site. I have six now!!! Rabbits like a routine. Could you have them in pens next to each other if they do start to fight? Hope it doesn't come to that. Would love to see pics of your rabbits :wave:

Back