• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D response: Boycott of Paradise Pets (Swindon)

Stufi

Alpha Buck
Found this pet shop today after relocating and had lots of very nice Hay and grasses for the little ones.

However, the back of the shop is full of small breeding hutches probably 12-16 with little buns and pigs. There are signs displayed stating that the buns are not for sale yet but this is to prove the good conditions they are kept in via a breeder of 40+ years experience.

We then went out the back to view their 'selection of hutches' which were all far too small. When i asked at the counter if they ensured that all hutches were sold with decent size runs i was told no. Upon questioning and being fobbed off with all the usual, "some people let buns have free run, some people have their on runs" I then stated that also some people don't. This was met with a blunt "We cannot control what people do in their own homes!".

After stating that they could ensure they only sold suitable hutches and accommodation it was made clear that i should leave the shop.?DF

Last edited:
Charming. They sound like a terrible shop, what a shame. I'm nowhere near so I can't actively boycott with you but I wish I could!

I will also boycott that place in spirit...

excuse the pun, i think you rattled their cage there and they got on the defensive..... Good for you.....

Fee x

Found their website- http://www.paradisepetsswindon.co.uk/contact_us_map.html

Which says they are 'experts' on animals and rabbits in particular
I quote:
'We know that rabbits are very popular pets, they become part of the family.
That's why we know you want a rabbit that is in good health and great condition.
We breed rabbits ourselves and many of you will have seen our stunning mini lops which always attract big attention. Along with the mini lops we also sell dwarf lops, netherland dwarfs, dutch, lionheads and very cute mini lion lops. We do sometimes have other breeds available so please ask.

We only sell pure bred rabbits, that way we know how big they'll grow to and we can advise on the right size of hutch.

Caring for a rabbit is much like looking after a cat or dog, they're just like proper family pets...'

If what you've said is true they really have no right to be writing stuff like that. Do you think people sending them emails would help? Something along the lines of 'I was very excited to visit your store after reading the information on your website about you having well bred rabbits and good sized hutches but when I visited/I was told that you hutches are all far too small! The RSPCA, RWA, Blue Cross and other animal groups recommend a 6', 2', 2' minimum sized hutch with a larger sized run put you stock hutches MUCH smaller than this as well as keeping the rabbits in you store in accommodation far too cramped. I will not be shopping at your store until these things are rectified, and I really think you should change the information on your website as it is very misleading'

I don't know if they'd care? But their website does come across as them WANTING to look like they are treating their animals well. And maybe if lots of people complained...

Found their website- http://www.paradisepetsswindon.co.uk/contact_us_map.html

Which says they are 'experts' on animals and rabbits in particular
I quote:
'We know that rabbits are very popular pets, they become part of the family.
That's why we know you want a rabbit that is in good health and great condition.
We breed rabbits ourselves and many of you will have seen our stunning mini lops which always attract big attention. Along with the mini lops we also sell dwarf lops, netherland dwarfs, dutch, lionheads and very cute mini lion lops. We do sometimes have other breeds available so please ask.

We only sell pure bred rabbits, that way we know how big they'll grow to and we can advise on the right size of hutch.

Caring for a rabbit is much like looking after a cat or dog, they're just like proper family pets...'

If what you've said is true they really have no right to be writing stuff like that. Do you think people sending them emails would help? Something along the lines of 'I was very excited to visit your store after reading the information on your website about you having well bred rabbits and good sized hutches but when I visited/I was told that you hutches are all far too small! The RSPCA, RWA, Blue Cross and other animal groups recommend a 6', 2', 2' minimum sized hutch with a larger sized run put you stock hutches MUCH smaller than this as well as keeping the rabbits in you store in accommodation far too cramped. I will not be shopping at your store until these things are rectified, and I really think you should change the information on your website as it is very misleading'

I don't know if they'd care? But their website does come across as them WANTING to look like they are treating their animals well. And maybe if lots of people complained...

I will email something like this and let you know of any response

Maybe we can all email them so they change their ways like we did with that bbc rabbit wedding thing :wave:

Sent:

Having recently relocated to Swindon I was excited to visit you store after reading the information on your website about you having well bred rabbits and good sized hutches. I am very keen on rescue rabbits due to the amount of 'backyard breeders' out there however the tone of the information led me to believe that you were a shop with the best interest of the animals at heart with health and well being be paramount. Although i commend you on the cleanliness of the breeding hutches they did appear to seem small but I was extremely disappointed by many of the hutches on sale as they also appear very small. The RSPCA, RWA, Blue Cross and other animal groups recommend a 6',2',2', minimum sized hutch with a larger sized run permanently attached to allow for the bunnies to exercise and move around. When asking at the counter whether you ensured that all hutches were sold with runs and questioning why not, i do not believe the eventual final answer of "because we can't control what people do in their own home" is in line with what you claim in the literature on your website. You could quite easily ensure that you bred rabbits continue having a healthy life by ensuring the right equipment is sold with them.

It is a shame as you have some very nice hay and reasonably priced toys/play items but I will not be shopping at your store until these things are rectified, and having shared my experience with other concerned rabbits owners/rescues, I believe that you should change the information on your website as it is misleading

Thank you for your time

Response:

First of all thank you for commenting on the cleanliness of our animals. It is through the hard work of the shop staff that we are able to present animals in a clean environment which not many other stores seem able to achieve.However you do mention "breeding hutches" which is not something that is on display inside the shop, so I'm a little confused by your comment. It may be the hutches at the bottom of the store you are referring to which are our sales hutches and you refer to as being "very small". These hutches are obviously not permanent accommodation for Adult Rabbits and Guineas but merely a temporary housing area for young animals. Young Rabbits do not do well when housed in oversized hutches when first taken away from their mothers as they often will panic and refuse to eat hence the chosen size we use.

We are very aware of the size of hutch recommended to be used by some of the welfare organisations you mention, and in fact we do have hutches that approximate size here for sale. However that size is simply not required by some of the smaller breeds, and given immediate access to an outside run with young animals is simply a bad idea. Many of these runs are placed onto grass which most Rabbits would gorge themselves on and as a result have terrible digestive problems, and in all likeliness would die as a result of the scouring that would occur.

Outside runs are a great idea for Adult Rabbits that have been gradually introduced to grass over a prolonged time. This then allows their guts to build up a tolerance to such a food item.

Unfortunately it is impossible to insist that all potential purchasers of animals purchase hutches and runs from us solely, and not from anywhere else. We cannot demand this, anymore than we can demand that you must visit our store and buy all your animal products from us either. We live in a society of free choice.
I am saddened that you feel that you no longer wish to visit our store and wonder where you will find a store that insists that all animals are sold with a hutch and run combo?

Could you please enlighten me as to what is "misleading" on our website as I am at a loss as to see where we have made mistakes?

Yours faithfully

Hmmm.

Well they obviously missed the point a little bit...

I'd say the majority of people don't buy a 'starter' hutch and then an adult hutch, that's why the RSPCA and other organisations advise against them. And if this shop only sold hutches of the appropriate size then people would be much more likely to buy them!!

Secondly there is no such thing as an animal having too much space- if the baby rabbit is feeling too exposed then it can hide in a den area. I really do hate it when people say animals have too much space! I got in an argument with a woman on a pet selling site who was selling an indoor cage 2.5' by 1.5' by 1' as a home for 2 guinea pigs or a rabbit!! I told her that that cage would be suitable for a hamster and she told me 'it's too big for a hamster, it's fine for 2 guinea pigs as I kept mine in their all their lives.'

Makes me mad :mad:

Are you going to reply?

Hmmm.

Well they obviously missed the point a little bit...

I'd say the majority of people don't buy a 'starter' hutch and then an adult hutch, that's why the RSPCA and other organisations advise against them. And if this shop only sold hutches of the appropriate size then people would be much more likely to buy them!!

Secondly there is no such thing as an animal having too much space- if the baby rabbit is feeling too exposed then it can hide in a den area. I really do hate it when people say animals have too much space! I got in an argument with a woman on a pet selling site who was selling an indoor cage 2.5' by 1.5' by 1' as a home for 2 guinea pigs or a rabbit!! I told her that that cage would be suitable for a hamster and she told me 'it's too big for a hamster, it's fine for 2 guinea pigs as I kept mine in their all their lives.'

Makes me mad :mad:

Are you going to reply?

I am sure somewhere on here previously I read about a scheme of pet shops who were signing up to sell on good sized hutches etc so if someone could point me in the right direction I may send them that but to be honest I will just keep my £400 + a year in my pocket and take it somewhere where I feel more comfortable spending it

my response:

Many thanks for your time and detailed response as the time taken is appreciated.

I am afraid that I do not agree with many of your points with regards to the hutches and space for smaller rabbits as my experience or rescuing, raising and bonding is that rabbits now matter how small or young will enjoy their hidy spaces but also flourish with significant space which is often not given by many new rabbit owners due to lack of education of their needs.

However, I do not want to turn this into anything other than a friendly exchange of views.

Please see below a link to a growing number of shops who are signed up to sell huts in line with a minimum size and, as someone who avoid using shops such as Pets at Home, I can tell you that there are owner out there that will go out of their way to shop at specific pet shops not forgetting the sometimes stronger viewed rescues who get through £££££'s worth of hay etc per year and have to buy from somewhere.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/walloffame.htm

Again, thank you for your time in responding to my concerns and I wish you all the best

Kind Regards

Back