• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets for older rabbits?

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
Is there any benefit in feeding pellets for older rabbits?

Fidget is 8 and in excellent health (apart from her bad leg, which isn't age related), I don't think that she appears to be any different health-wise than she was when she was young. She eats loads of hay and has a varied diet with quite a lot of veg treats.

I've always had her on normal adult rabbit pellets (SS and now Excel since SS has been hard to get hold of) but wondered if there was any reason to switch an otherwise healthy older rabbit onto the pellets for older rabbits?

I think it's just that older rabbits are generally less active and prone to weight gain, so pellets for older rabbits will have fewer calories :wave:

Is there any benefit in feeding pellets for older rabbits?

Fidget is 8 and in excellent health (apart from her bad leg, which isn't age related), I don't think that she appears to be any different health-wise than she was when she was young. She eats loads of hay and has a varied diet with quite a lot of veg treats.

I've always had her on normal adult rabbit pellets (SS and now Excel since SS has been hard to get hold of) but wondered if there was any reason to switch an otherwise healthy older rabbit onto the pellets for older rabbits?

I hate threads like this - it's like - what? Am I meant to be feedining differently??:roll::lol:

I've never had a problem with weight gain in older buns - the opposite in fact. I generally feed more now

I hate threads like this - it's like - what? Am I meant to be feedining differently??:roll::lol:

I've never had a problem with weight gain in older buns - the opposite in fact. I generally feed more now

I'm generally of the same opinion, I just wondered what the consensus on RU was. I presumed that the pellets for older rabbits were a marketing ploy, especially as some of them are allegedly for the over 4, which isn't even old!

Poppy has been on mature SS since she was 3 :lol: she's 6 now, but that's because it's the only food she will eat! If I had it my way she'd be on normal SS like the others. Leo is 7 but has normal SS.

I think the general consensus is that feeding your normal food is fine unless they start to put on/lose weight, in which case you switch to something more appropriate. While she's still acting like a young bunny, there's no real need to swap!

I guess it's always good that there's variety for the fussy eaters!

I compared the normal and 4+ SS in the vet today. The one for older rabbits has less fibre, protein and less calories. There wasn't much difference. As long as they eat plenty of hay and aren't being fed that muesli rubbish, and it tastes palatable to them then it doesn't really matter.

my bunnies are seven and are mainly on normal adult pellets. they were on baby ones until they were about four. they have so few it hardly matters.

Back