• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ludo update

BeccyTune

Young Bun
Just been out to give Lud's some broccoli and there are poo's. Thank goodness however I still don't think she has had much to drink. She has a bowl of water in the hutch, her water bottle at normal height plus another bottle lower down.
Also is if normal for her to be so aggressive after surgery? She is obviously upset and annoyed and even when she has gone for me I have stayed with her until she lets me smooth her head and cwtch her cheeks. I don't know, the whole horrible experience has just made me question things and has knocked me for six. I lost a baby in February and I have become so over emotional and the phone call to the vets this morning tipped me over the edge. Trying to explain to a three year old why he can't cuddle his bunny is a nightmare too.

Tbh the aggressive side sound more like she's in pain. Lola was the same, constantly lunging etc, once the metacam started to work she calmed down.

She will be fine :) you just need a lot of patience, it's a big operation and she'll need time to heal properly. Not just the external wound but also the internal ones, I think there are 3 in total, not sure.

The massive risk of cancer is preventable by a spay, so the few weeks of healing and the 2 months it takes for the hormones to die down is a small price to pay really x

Thank you. I am going to ask for some pain relief to take home or at the very least they give her some more in the morning when we go. Im so worried about hurting her when I pick her up, I suppose I just have to do it regardless of however aggressive she gets.

Thank you. I am going to ask for some pain relief to take home or at the very least they give her some more in the morning when we go. Im so worried about hurting her when I pick her up, I suppose I just have to do it regardless of however aggressive she gets.

When I picked Poppy up to check she wound I put my hand under her chest and fingers in a V shape under her chest/bottom of neck, then scooped her up. When I was just checking her wound I would either wait for her to flop and quickly look, or pick her front end up so it looked like she was standing on 2 legs:) not sure how easy that would be in a hutch though!

Just pick her up as normal, if she tries to kick out then let her go and calm her down. You could always put a towel over her eyes before you pick her up, they tend to freeze if they can't see anything so it might give you a few seconds to get her in a comfortable picking up position :)

Thats a good idea. Honestly this has been so stressful all common sense has gone out the window. I use a towel to calm her down if I ever have to wash her back end. She is such a big heavy girl, it's difficult at the best if times.
She seems to be moving round her hutch more now bless her x

:wave: Hi my two were spayed yesterday too. Last night they were in a foul mood with me but I think they were still a bit sleepy. They aren't cuddly buns anyway but they were very quiet and wanted to be left alone I think. Overnight they'd eaten their pellets and some hay but not much hay, this morning they ate more pellets and some grass and dandelion leaves. this morning they were much brighter, and they'd done quite a lot of poo and wee. I've got metacam but they said that the painkilling injection would last 24hrs so I'm going to give them some tonight. I'm sure she will soon forgive you, we do it for the right reasons. These are the first girls I've had spayed so I've been so worried about them.

Its horrible isn't it. I still haven't seen the wound. She still seems quite sleepy. Not sure when she had it done exactly but they called me about 2ish yesterday to say she has come round. Ludo doesn't like being handle but she does love affection and demans it! I want my girl back.......

Ahh Beccy sounds like your having a time of it!

I had my bun done last thursday not that you'd know it now!! Im sure she's making up for all the mischeif she missed out on for the 3 days she wasn't feeling upto it!
The first afternoon was awful!! she just layed there looking sorry for herself. the next day she lunged and took a chunk from my hand. We was given Loxicom for pain relief and i was worried about giving it to her but apparently its quite sweet and she loved it. she was lapping it out the syringe! She even grabbed the syringe for more. We was given 5 days worth but even with that she was still very stiff when she walked and no binkys. I thought i'd lost her personality but it's back now... with avengence!!

Also I just want to say sorry about the baby. I lost my little girl 5 years ago and I know it seems unbelievable right now but it will get better. If you need anyone to talk to PM me xx

Ahh Beccy sounds like your having a time of it!

I had my bun done last thursday not that you'd know it now!! Im sure she's making up for all the mischeif she missed out on for the 3 days she wasn't feeling upto it!
The first afternoon was awful!! she just layed there looking sorry for herself. the next day she lunged and took a chunk from my hand. We was given Loxicom for pain relief and i was worried about giving it to her but apparently its quite sweet and she loved it. she was lapping it out the syringe! She even grabbed the syringe for more. We was given 5 days worth but even with that she was still very stiff when she walked and no binkys. I thought i'd lost her personality but it's back now... with avengence!!

Also I just want to say sorry about the baby. I lost my little girl 5 years ago and I know it seems unbelievable right now but it will get better. If you need anyone to talk to PM me xx

Thank you so much for your kind words. It was early on in the big scheme of things but our baby was very much planned and wanted. It has effected me in ways I couldnt imagine. I will try and find how to pm you, im still working my way round this site.

You just click on my name and you'll see an option that says private message. I think the loss of any baby is upsetting wether it's planned or not but like I said it will get easier, not today and not tomorrow but all of a sudden you'll realise that you haven't cried that day and then that week. But anyway i'm here if you need to chat, rant, or just tell me how unfair the world is. Take care xx

Back