• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gammy eye in a very local wildie

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Hi :wave: I noticed today that one of our local wildies has been out all morning, in broad daylight, for all to see (we normally see them at dawn, dusk or at night). He tries to hide but if you get too close will dart off. I noticed earlier that his left eye looks different to his right. Is it possible he has something other than myxi? If he has myxi, then he is way too close for comfort even though my girls are up to date with jabs and as far as I am aware the wild bunnies can't get into our garden (ours can't get out so I'm assuming they can't get in) though they have been on our front lawn and could easily stop by the chicken-wired gate which ours go right up to. Obviously I check the girls every time I see them, making sure they have bright eyes particularly as that's the easy one, but if the wildie does have myxi, should I be worried and do I have to inform anyone i.e. my vet, the council, anyone else (bearing in mind that I don't actually know it is myxi; it's just that his one eye looks different, like it's a bit gammy - darker and thicker almost, on the very brief look I had. It looked a bit blacker, if that makes any sense, like it had thick eyeliner on).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Just had a quick google, it says about both eyes being swollen but not one? He may have just hurt his eye and if its infected he may be feeling poorly and thats why hes about at that time? I dont know though! Perhaps you could call the RSPCA to see if they could do anything if you tell them of your worry, cant see they could do much but you never know :wave:

Just had a quick google, it says about both eyes being swollen but not one? He may have just hurt his eye and if its infected he may be feeling poorly and thats why hes about at that time? I dont know though! Perhaps you could call the RSPCA to see if they could do anything if you tell them of your worry, cant see they could do much but you never know :wave:

Thank you for replying and googling for me (I hadn't thought of that :oops:); it might be worth a shot :thumb:

(though they'll probably want me to catch it first which I think is fairly unlikely as it's very quick on its paws at the moment!)

Back