• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried about EC :-(

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
Hi there

We sadly lost our beautiful Cadbury a few weeks ago and I'm 90% certain it was EC :-(

Now I'm worried about our two other bunnies. I've given them both a precautionary course of panacur and cleaned their hutch, litter trays, run etc with jeyes fluid. One or both of them is pooping outside of the litter tray (much like Cadbury had been, but this went on for months) and Thornton in particular seems a little subdued and occasionally sits with his bum 'squatted'against the floor ( again something Cadbury had been doing which we'd discussed with the vet back in Nov and was put down to old age).

So what more can I do? Could it be something else entirely? I'll take them to the vets on Monday but are they just going to prescribe another course of panacur and( in which case I'd rather just order cheaper from the hay experts).

unsure what to do. help and advice appreciated, thank you.

Should also add Thornton is mounting heavily at the moment which could explain his subduedness, but I just have this gut feeling..... :-(

They are both eating, but are not squabbling over food as has always been the case. We were away on holiday last week and it's really since then I've noticed the attitude change....

Maybe they're just getting used to the routine changes? Losing a bunny and if you have been away on holiday too, they might just be on edge because of that?

I'm not sure there are anymore precautionary measures against EC? I think bleaching maybe, but if you've already used Jeyes, then you might have that covered.

I hope it's nothing.

Yes I used jeyes in the hutch -it was the premixed spray which was done the week after Cadbury died which was the week after Easter. It doesn't smell anymore. Will probably use it again this weekend.

Yes I used jeyes in the hutch -it was the premixed spray which was done the week after Cadbury died which was the week after Easter. It doesn't smell anymore. Will probably use it again this weekend.

Jeyes Fluid is highly toxic and really not suitable to use on wood. It needs to be rinsed completely and this may not be possible with wood

Also, JF does NOT kill EC spores, a 10% bleach solution is needed. This too requires thorough rinsing and the area needs to be 100% dry before the Rabbits have access to it

It wasn't the neat jeyes which needs diluting, but the premixed spray which states one of it's uses as hutch cleaning..... obviously the hutch was fully dry before the bunnies were returned.

Has the advice on Jeyes fluid changed because all previous advice I have read recommends it???

one of my trio got EC 3 weeks ago.

i gave the 28 day wormer to all 3 and though tallulah is much better i am emptying the litter trays twice a day. i wash them with a 10% bleach solution which kills EC and then rinse and dry thoroughly, then i put kitchen roll on the bottom sprayed with the green hutch spray which also states it stops the EC spores.

your other 2 bunnies may just be missing their friend and adjusting to him not being there.
i am so sorry for your loss. x

I was going to say the same as Jane on the Jeyes fluid. That's for coccidiosis, as I recall. Bleach is for EC spores.

Saw Thornton do a wee right in the middle of the run this morning :-( I'm at a loss what to do now :-( This is how it started with Minstrel, then with Cadbury and now Thornton do and every time I take them to the vets (and I've changed vets in the last year too) they just dismiss it as nothing major so long as the bunny is eating and generally appears healthy. If I try and discuss EC they either a) get uppity because I'm asking about stuff the average rabbit owner knows nothing about or b) dismiss EC because there are not enough other serious symptoms. I'm so frustrated that it's happening again :-( I'll clean the hutch etc with bleach solution, but the weathers too wet for it to dry out properly. Should I try the longer course of panacur? Or is this not a good idea when they've only just had a course?

confused, frustrated, lost and generally upset that I'm a bad bunny mummy and nothing I do seems to help :'-(

How much Panacur have they had?

I feel your frustration, I really do. When I had bunnies, they had recurring gut problems but no typical symptoms of EC. It took a while before I found a vet that took this seriously.

It was just a 7 day course each, but it made absolutely no difference, so I know the full course is the next step, but I've been reading about them needing metacam as well..... but head tilt or complete hind leg paralysis has never been an issue. Its only ever been invontinence until Cadbury had a major fit when we PTS a few weeks back.....

Panacur does work quite quickly, but then there could always be permanent damage anyway, so you wouldn't necessarily see a great response within 7 days.

I can only go by my own experience. I think it's very wrong to only focus on head tilt and hind leg issues with EC, and luckily the vet I changed to was quite open minded (it was him that thought of EC, not me).

That's why I'm so convinced it isEC, even though my previous supposedly rabbit savvy vet was not, but the progress of the disease seems so long and slow..... the invontinence just very gradually gets worse and worse over many months, but because it's so gradual you just manage it ad part of the daily routine, especially whe n the vet just dismisses it :-(Ttrouble id i hate confrontation at the best of times so to try and convince someone who has trained at vet school for many years that you think they are wrong or you know better is beyond scary for me .... then O don't know whether to go back to my old vet who I generally liked, but is an hours journey or stick with my current.

Sooooo confused :-(

It might be worth a 2nd opinion, but I'm a serial vet changer! ;)

When I changed, I was incredibly stressed, and said 'it must be something infectious that they keep passing between them!' The new vet then said he thought it must be EC. Although your situation is slightly different, the fact that all bunnies are gradually displaying the same symptoms must be relevant...

I think there is a danger with rabbits in thinking everything is caused by EC, but it definitely needs to be ruled out, surely.

Personally I would put all your Rabbits onto a 6 week course of Panacur

If you buy the 10% liquid it is more economical and the dose rate is 0.2ml/kg

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-small-animal-oral-suspension-100ml-10.html

I would try to do everything possible to avoid them ingesting urine contaminated hay/grass/food

So hay in raised hay racks

No access to grassed areas (you cant clean grass/earth)

Removing any urine covered bedding as soon as possible

Bleach cleaning of environment (10% Bleach solution, rinse well)

Weigh all Rabbits every other day. Any more than 2 consecutive losses merits a Vet consult

Add Echinacea to their drinking water to support their immune system

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaia-Herbs-...68613657&sr=8-9&keywords=children's+echinacea

Thanks for that link Jane, didn't know you could get it in liquid form. Is the one bottle enough for a 6 week dosage for 2 bunnies?? will get some ordered today :) and will buy some scales!
I'll get a water bottle too so hopefully less contamination again....
Suddenly feel more positive, hope it works as I can't bear to see another bunny go through this- Thornton is less than 3 and Molly even younger

Back