• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit treats

OliviaTonks

Warren Scout
Hi guys! I was just wondering if I could give my rabbit some people food, I know all the veggies they can have, but I prefer to grow my own for them as home grown doesn't have any chemicals, and my garden is still sprouting. Okay here are the things I was wondering about (obviously I will only give them sparingly)

- Craisins
- Raisins
-Plain rice cakes
- Steel cut oats.

I wouldn't feed any of these to my rabbits - I don't see any point in feeding things which, essentially, are not good for them, could upset their digestive system, and probably prevent them eating good stuff.

Much better treats are dried plantain, etc (don't know whether you can get them where you are) or herbs.

You would probably end up with an overweight rabbit if not a sick one. I know raisins are on the "Not to feed to rabbits" list. Do you give him lots of hay?

Mine get dried herbs and home made bunny biscuits as treats.

Maybe you could have a go at making bunny biscuits?
I'm sure there are lots of recipes on here somewhere.

on top of hay hay and more hay our rabbits go mad for the following :

papaya tablets : bought from a drugstore (and very good for digestion)
apple or pear tree branches (quite high in sugar but good for their teeth)
dandelion leaves : easily sourced from a garden (watch out for weedkiller or places dogs/cats wee though)
bramble leaves : there's so much of this growing wild in England !!
hawthorn leaves and branches : fresh or dried : although once dried rabbits love chewing the branches more

fenugreek crunchies (not too healthy so given as a rare treat)

Thank you everybody! :) The reason I was looking into this was for training treats, not as something I would give them everyday. They get unlimited hay. I'll have to take a look at those recipes! My one girl Olivia does love bramble leaves, :) and they all get dandelion leaves and clover.

Back