• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for my friend's bun please!!

Lea-Anne

Warren Veteran
Just had to take one of my best friends rabbits Rolo to the emergency vets. The stupid incompetent idiot said he had rabbit syphilis. There isn't a scab on him. He's struggling to breath, nose streaming, all blocked up and eye watering  I basically just told them the vet messed up and hes now getting treatment: steam, oxygen, gut stimulant, pain killer and intensive care. I said to my friend I would've happily force fed him for her had he not been air breathing but I was scared I might choke him!! I've told Becca to write a letter of complaint. He was snuffly like this this morning when this ejit saw him. Didn't check his teeth or give him pain killer, just gave an injection of penicillian! Aarrrrrhhh !!! I've told her to change to my vet tomorrow!
Hope he pulls through :roll:

Last edited:
He's still not eating but the noisy breathing and nose discharge has gone already - a day and a half on the right meds :thumb:

He's taking force feeding ok. Is home but still on gut stimulant, pain relief, antibiotics and being 'steamed.'

He's making this funny 'lapping' noise every now and again like hes chewing on his cheek. Could this be a sign of teeth trouble ? Anyone know??

I'm glad to hear he is improving. It could possibly be teeth I guess, but not heard noises when Homey had teeth issues. He tended to move his mouth around, slow down eating when he was due a dental - either that or just stop eating all together :roll:

Is the bunny dribbling at all/wet chin. I was just wondering if maybe a sore mouth it could be excess saliva :?

Is he with your vet now?

I'm glad to hear he is improving. It could possibly be teeth I guess, but not heard noises when Homey had teeth issues. He tended to move his mouth around, slow down eating when he was due a dental - either that or just stop eating all together :roll:

Is the bunny dribbling at all/wet chin. I was just wondering if maybe a sore mouth it could be excess saliva :?

Is he with your vet now?

No he's not he's still under the emergency vet (who has been great) until he's well. Then he'll go to Fi.

My friend has a letter of complaint already going through the system. She wants an apology and the first consult refunding ( £45 for no proper consult and 1 injection!!).

He's at home with her now. I went round this evening and he's bright, washing and about a tjousand times better. I showed her how to force feed as Bec wasn't sure she was doing it right and he took some more food.

I think considering he's doing ok!!

There are photos of the little might on FB Sandra :love:

Last edited:
There are photos of the little might on FB Sandra :love:

Off to look................

Had to take Katy to vets tonight, she ripped a front nail off when something spooked them in the garden and seh ran for the shed :roll: Luckily our vets is now open until 6 on a Saturday :D She got her VHD jab while she was there save taking her next week.

Back