• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO Tulsi... And anyone else interested in Grayson hamster's set up!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
As promised, iv taken some up to date pics of Grayson's set up!

This is the full view, I have still not got round to making a better lid for it, this is the temporary lid that's been on for the last 5 months :oops: It is just 2 slatted shelves from a shelving unit, so it's got ventilation but I want it partly meshed for extra ventilation :thumb: One day I will get round to it!

Can u spot Grayson on the right?!
414BB4C4-B15B-40F2-B190-F01C0C17C73D-23259-0000143DAE397DF1_zps9c690644.jpg

This is the unit from Ikea how it should be used :lol:
1014346B-6657-41B2-98E7-35F410B0582C-23259-0000143DA9D3ACCD_zps41836576.jpg

The left side is sand with his wheel (12" karlie wonderland wheel) and his coconut :D
D841B727-3E6C-4031-9E13-43CEC985563C-23259-0000143DC2E7B69E_zps19c52449.jpg

View from right to left...
AABACBEF-B401-4BD4-8F97-44F4DA5971BF-23259-0000143DBA556A22_zps078850a6.jpg

The right side has his treehouse bed (actually a birdhouse!) with play sticks added to roof and his little ladder (recent addition as he used to climb the tree but since I put the playsticks on the roof he couldn't quite make it :lol:) He also has his potty there, made from a milk carton :lol: behind the privacy barrier :oops: Spot Grayson again, wondering what's going on!
6C3249B9-6500-4634-B886-D0A9F1D94BC0-23259-0000143DB468FB49_zpsba3dc363.jpg

View from left to right...
95DF92B7-DF91-45CD-A9AE-325C704BAC44-23259-0000143DBE8A59CD_zps45ce1143.jpg

He has a mixture of coconut fibre substrate (from reptile section) and vitakraft 'country home' which is a natural mixture of bark, wood chips, moss, twigs etc. He has some brick steps to help keep his claws down :D The log is also intended for reptiles and tbh he takes no notice of it but I think it looks good so iv left it in :lol: Suppose it provides something to hide behind! :wave:

that's amazing! the best hamter setup i've seen by far. i wish i was grayson :lol:

:lol: I often think about what his previous owners kept him in (he was a PAH adoption) and hope he knows how lucky he is that I took him home :lol: He's a lovely boy tho, I'm lucky to have him, he deserves it :D

aw wow!!!!
I've been thinking of adopting a hammy and this is totally what I'd like to do, either this or georgeypudding style setup!! :)

aw wow!!!!
I've been thinking of adopting a hammy and this is totally what I'd like to do, either this or georgeypudding style setup!! :)

If u have the space the ikea unit is such good value, miles cheaper than any large tank/vivarium you'd find, and I think looks a lot sleeker too :D

OMG thats fabulous. Love his privicy barrier!!! Harvest got out of her run last night and had a real good look round the bedroom (opps). I will definately be taking inspiration from lucky Grayson's set up. Thank you for posting.

OMG thats fabulous. Love his privicy barrier!!! Harvest got out of her run last night and had a real good look round the bedroom (opps). I will definately be taking inspiration from lucky Grayson's set up. Thank you for posting.

Thanks, glad it's inspired you! :wave:

That looks amazing.

I have an empty ikea detolf in my bedroom, did have some robos in it but they fell out and are in a zz2 each instead now they are singles!

Might see if I can find any hamsters needing to be adopted and let them have the detolf.

That is fantastic!! His "privacy barrier" Made me giggle :lol:

:lol: I struggled to get him to wee in a good spot as he kept doing it in his bed or close to his bed so I gave him a bed that was too small for anything other than sleeping, and put his potty close, but thought maybe he likes to feel hidden so he's more secure when spending a penny :lol: Well it's worked anyway, he's a good boy and only wees in his potty :thumb: makes cleaning much easier!

That looks amazing.

I have an empty ikea detolf in my bedroom, did have some robos in it but they fell out and are in a zz2 each instead now they are singles!

Might see if I can find any hamsters needing to be adopted and let them have the detolf.

I thought u meant the hamsters physically fell out if the cage :lol: I was trying to figure out how that is possible! Yeah I'm sure u can find an adoptee hammy that would love to live in it :thumb:

I thought u meant the hamsters physically fell out if the cage :lol: I was trying to figure out how that is possible! Yeah I'm sure u can find an adoptee hammy that would love to live in it :thumb:

haha no, they started fighting unfortunately :(
Although trying to get a lid on the detolf is proving to be a mission so I'd have to sort that if I got a Syrian to go in there.

Have you looked on the german hamster forum?
There are loads of tutorials on how to make lids for the detolf.
I cant read german, I just look at the pics :)

:lol: I struggled to get him to wee in a good spot as he kept doing it in his bed or close to his bed so I gave him a bed that was too small for anything other than sleeping, and put his potty close, but thought maybe he likes to feel hidden so he's more secure when spending a penny :lol: Well it's worked anyway, he's a good boy and only wees in his potty :thumb: makes cleaning much easier!

I cant believe you have potty trained a hamster! Thats brilliant i would never have thought you could! But then i never new you could litter train a bunny soooo you learn something new......

Well done you, hes such a lucky boy :thumb:

haha no, they started fighting unfortunately :(
Although trying to get a lid on the detolf is proving to be a mission so I'd have to sort that if I got a Syrian to go in there.

Have you looked on the german hamster forum?
There are loads of tutorials on how to make lids for the detolf.
I cant read german, I just look at the pics :)

Yeah iv seen them, the shelves I'm using now r pretty good tbh they r heavy enough to stay put and I just take one off when I need to get in. They just look a bit ugly but the plan is to cut them to the right size (they stick out a bit at the front!), take a couple of the planks off, paint them and put mesh in. Hopefully they will look a bit better then! I can't be bothered with hinges and things!

I cant believe you have potty trained a hamster! Thats brilliant i would never have thought you could! But then i never new you could litter train a bunny soooo you learn something new......

Well done you, hes such a lucky boy :thumb:

I think most hamsters choose one corner to wee in, unfortunately for Grayson this was one corner if his wooden bed to start with so it stank, then he had one section with deep substrate for digging but he weed at the bottom :roll: and slept in the middle so every time I wanted to clean I had to disturb his bed. He also stored his food down there :roll: so this was my plan c! Thankfully he took to the potty in the end :thumb: he still poos everywhere but they don't smell so I just sift them out of the sand every so often! Iv only ever done part changes of the rest so it's really easy to keep clean :thumb:

Back