• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to move newly bonded pair into non-neutral territory

wombley_99

Young Bun
Hi folks,

I currently have a spayed female and neutered male rabbit in my kitchen to bond them as it is completely neutral territory neither having been in there before as they are outdoor rabbits so it is also quite frightening for them. So far it's going well - my last few attempts a few weeks ago didn't go so well as I was trying to bond them in a run in the garden which they have both been in at various times so the male was very territorial. Anyway, once they are getting along nicely they will both be moving into his home as it is a shed with huge run attached with lots of space. Anyone got any advice on how I can get them in there without him getting territorial about it and the bond breaking down?

Many thanks.

I've got a similar problem!

See my thread Bungee & Bo, I am getting some advice on how best to make the move too! :wave:

Are they in a pen in the kitchen or just free? It needs to be a small space to start with, about 2x2ft. Big pile of hay and 2 water sources, nothing else. When they have had 48 hours together with no chasing, humping, fighting, you can increase the space a little bit, ie. 1ft. Then use the same 48 hrs principle. Its a slow process but it works. Meanwhile, you need to neutralize the shed where they will eventually live, by spraying everything with a vinegar and water solution so it doesn't smell of either bunny. Any more questions ask away :wave:

Boys aren't as territorial as the females, this is why breeders always put the girl in the boy's hutch. He won't attack her. So, even though your boy is neutered the principle is more or less the same. If they are not fighting in the kitchen after a couple of days of observing them, you should be safe to put them outside.

You must put the boy in first followed by the girl. He will probably chase her for a while but then things should start to settle down. Most bonds work if you do it this way. Of course there is always the awkward pair or a very aggressive female, so then the chances of them bonding are less.

When you put them outside you will have to spend some time keeping an eye on them to ensure they are behaving. If they start to fight you must try to calm them down vocally otherwise they might get carried away and then you would have to separate.

Thanks for the advice everyone. They have the whole kitchen at the moment but are sticking together as the experience of being in the house is very scary for them which I think is helping quite nicely. What solution of vinegar to water do I need and what kind of vinegar should I get?

Last time I left them together in a run for an afternoon she got chased, grunted at, fur pulled out and finally cowered in a corned appearing panicked and too terrified to move as every time she did he went for her - but at no point did she show any signs of aggression back towards him thankfully. At least things are going better this time, my last experience was what led me to question how I was going to move them in to his shed but I feel more confident about it now following these comments. Thanks all.

Back