• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and small breed dogs

Thunders_Mum

Mama Doe
Well my mum has decided she wants a small dog as she is getting lonely and wants an animal who is affectionate. We are looking at getting a Chihuahua as a puppy.

My question is will the puppy be ok around my two house bunnies (of course it will always be supervised)

Chis can be rather sharp. relatives had a few and regardless of training they were rather quick tempered little dogs! nice dogs but fiesty -i got bitten lol have you considered maybe a king charles spaniel? a much more docile sweet natured breed-more likely to get on well with all.

I can't speak for others but Derek is amazing with all my animals, he is a JRT and one in a million I think. As long as you are supervising any puppy brought up with animals should hopefully be ok. If they learn early enough. Supervision is of course really important :wave:

Chis can be rather sharp. relatives had a few and regardless of training they were rather quick tempered little dogs! nice dogs but fiesty -i got bitten lol have you considered maybe a king charles spaniel? a much more docile sweet natured breed-more likely to get on well with all.

Docile? :lol::lol: Please tell my two to stop acting like Spaniels…. :lol::lol:

They are fantastic, gentle dogs though. They become docile with age, but as young dogs/puppies they're little fire crackers….but wonderful fire crackers.:love:

Howard was really good with the buns (although they were bigger than him.)

With any dog, it's all down to the training.

My grandads JR shreaded th neighours AND their rabbits :cry:

I'd LOVEa daxon but as their bred for rabbiting i thought twice abou it, i'd love a french bulldog or a puggle !

A friend of mine has two chi's that she got as pups and they get on very well with her rats. They were well trained though.

I have three small dogs - a cavalier, a shih Tzu and a poodle

All of them are fabulous with the rabbits and in the last 6 years have never had any incident that has caused concern, and these lot free range in the garden with all 10 of my rabbits, from a tiny nethie to a big giant.

Companion breeds are the best ones to look at as they don't tend to have hunting/working traits in their breeding

Photos are of BB busily mowing the grass with all three dogs going about their day...

DSC05044_zps7e99e27d.jpg

DSC05041_zps1db97b2f.jpg

Thanks everyone my mums gone with a Shi-chi puppy. He will be ready to pick up at the end of may. Obviously he will always be supervised around my bunnies as I would never risk it as he will be my mums dog for campionship so will probably spend most of his time around her in her room.

*ahem* I'm going to be bold and be the first to say...pix when pup arrives, please? ;)
I got very lucky. My Jenna (Yorkie/Chi cross) was a rescue and already a few years old when I got her. She is fantastically trained and has never made a move towards bunnies or cats and even though she doesn't like other dogs she's gotten on well with our surprise puppy, Ebon.
Fiver can go right up to her and sniff and prod her with his nose and she just comes over to me to hide behind my back and ask Mummy to please make the naughty bunny stop touching her. :lol:
I think with Jenna it is also that she knows she is my dog. She feels secure enough in knowing I love her and spend all day and night with her, she is not threatened by the presence of the other animals.

*ahem* I'm going to be bold and be the first to say...pix when pup arrives, please? ;)
I got very lucky. My Jenna (Yorkie/Chi cross) was a rescue and already a few years old when I got her. She is fantastically trained and has never made a move towards bunnies or cats and even though she doesn't like other dogs she's gotten on well with our surprise puppy, Ebon.
Fiver can go right up to her and sniff and prod her with his nose and she just comes over to me to hide behind my back and ask Mummy to please make the naughty bunny stop touching her. :lol:
I think with Jenna it is also that she knows she is my dog. She feels secure enough in knowing I love her and spend all day and night with her, she is not threatened by the presence of the other animals.

Yep of course! He is so adorable, so small, black and has blue eyes. Ideally we would of wanted to rescue an older dog but we thought it would better to train the pup from a young age.

My mums so excited but I prefer my bunnies :lol:

I missed this thread first time, I have a JRTX, I don't let her get to them without a lead on or a barrier between them, not because she wants to hurt them but she plays rough with her best cat friend, she bounces on him and pushes him over, I wouldn't take the risk of her doing that to the rabbits because they're fragile. I could probably work on it with training but I'd never trust her completely
535915_10151869513890558_853815824_n.jpg

559414_10151869544165558_626719029_n.jpg

Back