• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think?

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
I've been planning to let my bunnies live outside for quite some time now. My Italian house is not good for letting rabbits free range (lots of stairs, slippery floors, dangerous holes, a small dog and a cat on the loose, etc.) while we have a big garden. Also, Maia has now been widowed, and I know I won't be able to give her a new mate if she is still living inside - she is very clean while bridge husbun Mango was a real mess.
I may have found a hutch on Ebay. What do you think of it? Consider that from an Italian shop, this would cost me 100+ € more.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kaninchenstall-doppeltem-Freilauf-Freigehege-Kleintierstall-Hasenstall-Holz-/370793242790?pt=de_haus_garten_tierbedarf_klein_nagetiere&hash=item5654ffe0a6

Advice please!

It's hard to tell from the page what the dimensions are due to the language. Is it 10ft long in total?

It seems to have the house in the middle with two small runs either side. They may well have more room with one big run. If you have a big garden, could you get a shed and attach a run to it?

The problem with hutches like that is the inside space isn't very big, access doesn't look amazing on that one either.

So it's nearly 10ft in length, that's under 3.5ft for each area. 3.2ishft for the one side of the run, 3.2ish ft for the hutch area and 3.2ish ft for the next run area. If you think about the minimum in the UK for 2 small/medium rabbits is a 6x2x2 hutch and attached 8x4 run, it's not offering the inside space or a whole lot of outside space. I know 10ft sounds great but I can't see a rabbit getting up to much speed in there.

If you could use plywood or something to completely cover and give a floor to one side of the run and attach another run that would make it better but that would just be more cost.

Just my opinion though :)

What about a kennel? For example, a 10ft x 4ft one? They also have easy access and you'd be able to sit in there with her and make levels and create a really interesting space :) They can be expensive but will last so much longer than one of those hutches :)

Last edited:
The problem with hutches like that is the inside space isn't very big, access doesn't look amazing on that one either.

What about a kennel? For example, a 10ft x 4ft one? They also have easy access and you'd be able to sit in there with her and make levels and create a really interesting space :) They can be expensive but will last so much longer than one of those hutches :)

From pictures it looks like the 3 areas are not separated but are one, so Maia could pick up speed, but I need to ask the dealre to be really sure.
I considered a kennel, but they're MUCH more expensive than one of these hutches - let's say usually at least 2x.
However, as far as hutches go, I could get this one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/281100841328?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
It's originally a chicken coop though, so I'm concerned it might be not good enough for rabbits.

Other possible alternatives:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/310662879838?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
This one only has an internal space of 1.3 mt, so I think it's not long enough.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/140754037599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
This one looks good, but again it's not clear if the two areas are separated or can be united. If they can, then there's a space of almost 2 mt long - could be enough for Maia who is so small.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/290901876646?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
This one looks nice but perhaps more to humans than to buns. :)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/390066712764?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
This seller has AMAZING rabbit hutches that look very sturdy too, but he's so expensive! Comic artists are never rich... :(

If any of you is good at using Ebay and can find me out something with delivery to Italy, I would appreciate some help. :wave:

It's hard to tell from the page what the dimensions are due to the language. Is it 10ft long in total?

It seems to have the house in the middle with two small runs either side. They may well have more room with one big run. If you have a big garden, could you get a shed and attach a run to it?

A shed and run was the original plan. But they're way too expensive, to my great chagrin. You start from €350 for a very small and not very sturdy one.
I'm a bit mad with my dad because he COULD build a shed, he knows all he needs to do it, but just won't. He claims he doesn't have the machinery as he's retired and all was at his old job, but meantime he built a BIG playing house for the nieces. He doesn't like rabbits, is all. :censored:

I quite like the first one although agree with A and P. You could put some roofing on one side so they can still sit out if it is raining. What about if they dig out, I suppose you have thought of that, but I reckon the rabbits would like having the choice of going this way or that. They like lots of options rather than a huge space. Are you free from foxes as that wire wouldn't be very foxproof I don't think.

I quite like the first one although agree with A and P. You could put some roofing on one side so they can still sit out if it is raining. What about if they dig out, I suppose you have thought of that, but I reckon the rabbits would like having the choice of going this way or that. They like lots of options rather than a huge space. Are you free from foxes as that wire wouldn't be very foxproof I don't think.

There will be a metal net on the ground so rabbits have access to grass but can't dig out.
Luckily there are no urban foxes here. I think the most dangerous thing that can come in the garden are cats.

It's not very wide either, same with the coop style hutches.

If you really want that first hutch (which out of all the ones you linked is the better one) then I would definitely make one of the run areas a hutch bit too so there is plenty of inside space they can have access to and attach a run at least 6ft x 4ft to offer plenty of binky space etc.

That's 6ft x nearly 3ft. So the inside space will only be 2ish foot. I know someone has that hutch thing and had a cover made for it to fit so no wind or rain can get in, then attached a large run to it so essentially turned it into one big hutch but still gave appropriate access to a run :)

A secure run can come in time and for now she could have supervised access to an open run during days. Hmm.

That's 6ft x nearly 3ft. So the inside space will only be 2ish foot. I know someone has that hutch thing and had a cover made for it to fit so no wind or rain can get in, then attached a large run to it so essentially turned it into one big hutch but still gave appropriate access to a run :)

Edit: just looked through the pictures of it and I think it's tiny. If I had that I would definitely convert into one big hutch and attach a run. I wouldn't be happy housing a rabbit/s in it.

Oh I know it's all one space :) I just meant the first bit of run is 3.2ft, the hutch and area underneath is 3.2ft and the next run bit is 3.2ft.

You could get panels of wood to lift the whole thing yeah :) that would offer more height room too. I would still be unhappy with the inside space, especially with 2 rabbits. It sounds like you're going to get it anyway so perhaps you could get a small hutch or make one large hidey house to put in the one end of the run to offer a shelter, but I would definitely attach a decent sized run :)

Oh I know it's all one space :) I just meant the first bit of run is 3.2ft, the hutch and area underneath is 3.2ft and the next run bit is 3.2ft.

You could get panels of wood to lift the whole thing yeah :) that would offer more height room too. I would still be unhappy with the inside space, especially with 2 rabbits. It sounds like you're going to get it anyway so perhaps you could get a small hutch or make one large hidey house to put in the one end of the run to offer a shelter, but I would definitely attach a decent sized run :)

I'm not getting it at all costs... but I'm struggling with balancing cost and size. :/ If I could work wood I'd do it myself, I think. But I can't so I'm trying to see if I can work on available hutches until I get an acceptable space.
I also live with my parents, who can't believe such a small bunny needs all that space :lol: and I can see their point. It's hard to convince them we need something that big when Maia one day could go downhill and die as fast as poor beloved Mango did. :(:(:(:(:(:cry::cry::cry::cry: I don't think she'd going to, she's eaten the strangest things without so much as a bellyache, but rabbits are delicate, I know it so well. :(
I know it would be much better if I could lay my hands on a second hand shed and run, and I'm looking everywhere for them. But in the meantime the warm season has come and Maia is alone and inside. I really wish to do something to make her accomodation better.

Don't worry about it :) you're trying to sort it so that's all good:)

Can you get hold of hutches and runs like the ones that happyhutch company do? Like with the 6ft hutch on top and 6x4 run underneath?

Or are there builders yards or similar by you/online that deliver that could make something to your specifications?

Don't worry about it :) you're trying to sort it so that's all good:)

Can you get hold of hutches and runs like the ones that happyhutch company do? Like with the 6ft hutch on top and 6x4 run underneath?

Or are there builders yards or similar by you/online that deliver that could make something to your specifications?

Like this one? Or can you post some examples? I saw some but I thoght the hutch space was rather small.
http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/rabbit-hutch-and-run-combinations/74

Too bad they don't offer deliver outside the UK!
I have seen something similar, but I think the run was small. I'll look again.

Back