• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to know when a bereaved bunny is ready to move on?

toffee

Mama Doe
I lost Melanie last night following a battle with a facial abscess. She had not been eating and, despite having been nursed and syringe fed, she had a massive heart attack at the vet last night and died instantly.

This leaves Prince alone. He is eating but looks thoroughly miserable. They had been bonded 5 years.

I want to bond him with Preya who lost her boyfriend Piccolo a couple of months ago. There's no doubt that she's ready to re-bond but how will I know when Prince is ready?

Preya has been active and her normal self since Piccolo died but, knowing Prince, I don't think he will be like that.

I just want him to be ok and make the loss of Melanie as easy for him as possible - I'm torn because part of me thinks that bonding soon will bring him round more quickly but I also don't want to do it before he's ready and risk stressing him out. I'm also worried that trying to introduce them too soon will harm the likelihood of them bonding if they end up fighting because he's not ready.

Any opinions?

Unfortunately Prince did not get to see Melanie's body. I realise I should have brought her home for him to see but at the time I was so shocked and upset I just wanted to get out of there so I left her body at the vets to be sent for cremation. I get the feeling though that he knows she's not coming back - she was very poorly before I took her to the vet and he'd been distancing himself from her. I think he was preparing himself for the worst. Also he had been leaving half the food I put in - like he was saving it for her (I've had other bonded rabbits who have left food for an ill rabbit) but this morning I noticed he'd eaten nearly all of it himself.

I would leave it for at least 24 hours

Every Rabbit is unique and some are ready to accept a new friend almost immediately. Others may take months or even years to do so

It really is a case of trying an introduction and reading the body language of the Rabbits. There is no one size fits all as far as time scales go.

I am sorry about Melanie and I hope that eventually Preya and Prince can become friends xx

I would leave it for at least 24 hours

Every Rabbit is unique and some are ready to accept a new friend almost immediately. Others may take months or even years to do so

It really is a case of trying an introduction and reading the body language of the Rabbits. There is no one size fits all as far as time scales go.

I am sorry about Melanie and I hope that eventually Preya and Prince can become friends xx

I was considering putting them together this weekend and seeing how they get on.

If it doesn't go well will this mean that he'll reject her at a later attempt or might they still accept each other at a better time following a failed bonding?

They are currently living next to each other in indoor cages and seem to be ignoring each other.

I was considering putting them together this weekend and seeing how they get on.

If it doesn't go well will this mean that he'll reject her at a later attempt or might they still accept each other at a better time following a failed bonding?

They are currently living next to each other in indoor cages and seem to be ignoring each other.

If you introduce them then it is best to not let things get heated. There will probably be some humping and chasing, but dont let any true aggression go on unchecked.

I have some Rabbits who have accepted a new friend the day after a bereavement. I have one who will have nothing to do with any other Rabbit and it is almost a year since she lost her soul mate :cry:

It really is a case of reading the signs given by the individual Rabbits and not allowing a proper aggressive encounter kick off.

If you introduce them then it is best to not let things get heated. There will probably be some humping and chasing, but dont let any true aggression go on unchecked.

I have some Rabbits who have accepted a new friend the day after a bereavement. I have one who will have nothing to do with any other Rabbit and it is almost a year since she lost her soul mate :cry:

It really is a case of reading the signs given by the individual Rabbits and not allowing a proper aggressive encounter kick off.

Thanks. x

i think Alvin knew pearl was dying so it was only about 24 hours before he started to look sad and lonely... within the week he was back at Hopper Haven and binkying at the other rabbits he could see :shock:

i think the only way to know for sure is to try him with another girly, if he wants a new friend he will be keen if he hasn't got over his loss yet he will probably be aggressive and refuse to bond with somebun new

I think it might be worth trying to put them together fairly soon. I went in their room this morning and Prince was sitting in his cage staring at her in her cage. Then she went over and started chewing the bars while he was staring.

Looks promising...

When Molly lost her friend Joker last June after 3 years.
I look back and i waited far too long .
Did not realise how depressed and upset she was.
Thought it was the warmer weather making her lethargic and
soppy.
I waited 3 months.
The minute i bonded her with Smokey she was so much happier.
Her coat looked better she was mischevious again and had that
sparkle in her eye.
I certainly would not wait that long again.

Back