• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet for neutering

~Chey~

Young Bun
My bunny Peter is in hopefully on Friday to be neutered if all is ok at his check up. Does any body have any advice on things I can do to make him feel more comfortable or any advice on what to expect would be fantastic. A very nervous bunny mummy :cry:

Firstly I hope Peter's op goes well on Friday.

Is Peter an outdoor bunny? If so when he returns home make sure that he is kept warm, well that is providing the weather isn't as blooming warm as it was earlier on in the week. If it is very warm, keep him out of the sun and somewhere comfy but not too warm. Perhaps provide a bowl and bottle for his water, keep a close eye on what he is wanting to eat and how much he is eating.

If the weather is cool like it is here today, provide a fleece for him to snuggle to and provide some extra warmth. Keep Peter away from any draughts and rain.

If Peter is indoors, make sure he is not too warm, don't put him alongside a radiator or in direct sunlight. A nice quiet place for him to rest and recover.
Make sure Peter is eating, drinking, peeing and pooing as per usual. This is a good indication of how bunnies are feeling.

Be prepared to monitor him closely and have a wide range of healthy things for him to eat. Sometimes they just don't feel like eating their usual food so it is always handy to have other things on hand. Coriander, parsley, mint, basil and dill seem to be enjoyed by many bunnies.

Anyway, I hope all goes well and the above is of use to you and Peter.

Last edited:
My bunny Peter is in hopefully on Friday to be neutered if all is ok at his check up. Does any body have any advice on things I can do to make him feel more comfortable or any advice on what to expect would be fantastic. A very nervous bunny mummy :cry:

They'll want to get him eating as soon as possible after so take a bit of food along with him, a few pellets and some of his favorite treats :) He'll need to be kept inside for 24 hours I think it is? Because they can't regulate their body temperature properly till the anasthetic has worn off, and also be careful what you bed him on because you don't want any woodshavings/hay/straw irritating the wound. He'll look very lethargic when you bring him home and probably wont move around much or want to eat/drink much at all that's completely normal however he does need to eat something, although the vets I've used wont send the rabbit home till they've seen it eat something anyway. We all get worried with things like this but don't worry he'll be fine its a very common operation male bunnies have done

He's had the surgery and is beginning to get back to his old self now :) I was very worried the first two days so I'm glad he picked up! Thank you for your advice. He's an indoor bunny really, however is always out in the garden when the weathers good enough.. As I like too sit out with him!

Back