• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newspaper in litter trays?

clarebear

Mama Doe
Does anyone use newspaper in their litter trays?

We ran out of sawdust yesterday and had to use newspaper instead. Is it a good idea? I thought it would keep costs down a little now we have three buns.

Newspaper is probably a better choice than sawdust. It's cheaper and there's a danger that rabbits could inhale the dust from sawdust. We always use hay on top of newspaper for litter trays. :D

I do. I always used to use it, then swapped to megazorb (can't even remember why :oops::lol:), but now I'm back using newspaper again. I find it easier to clean out because you can just lift the newspaper out with all the hay on top. Plus it's free :D

Newspaper would be better for your buns than sawdust (wood shavings?), because the wood shavings can contribute to respiratory problems, so it's better all round :thumb:

Yes, I use newspaper. I line the tray with newspaper and then put in a load of shredded newspaper, it's always worked well for mine but I guess you'd need to be sure the buns don't eat the paper, I can imagine some have a habit of muching it :roll:

yup newspaper here too. used to swear by megazorb with my other 2, but this madam is very very fluffy and I could forsee problems with stuff sticking to her fur so started as we mean to go on, and use newspaper!

Yep - newspaper in all tray here, and then megazorb on top and then hay.

Sawdust can be bad for buns so newspaper is much better - although some really enjoy digging it out of the tray and tearing it up! :roll:

you can use just newspaper and hay but i imagine it would get wetter more quickly. i use newspaper, then fitch, then hay. :wave:

Thank you all. I shall give the newspaper a go then, and like you say it's free too!

We've always used sawdust, then I changed to megazob for a while, then went back to sawdust again. Probably just for convience really, as they sell it at our local pet shop. Probably not good at all for buns, and Bramble already has respiratory problems, so this should be much better. OH was complaining last night though, that it isn't easy to put newspaper in a round litter tray! Bungee is currently using a round washing up bowl, as her tray blew off the top of her run whilst we were cleaning her out and shattered! Must get her a new one.

fitch bedding has been really good for bisc and matt. they both have respiratory problems and this fitch is dust free and really good. i used to use megazorb but it started to get alot more dusty recently so i tried fitch and now i will probably always use it. :love:

Spenser has just newspaper and hay. I've not had any problems. Lots of friends save their papers for us, so he always has a good thick layer.

I use newspaper too, straw on top and then a few handfuls of the wood pellets which stops the smell a bit and means the buns widdle doesnt run out all over my hand when I tip it out! :roll:

Newspaper and hay here!
Haven't read all the posts, but I'm sure someone has said that sawdust isn't recommended for rabbits - lots of threads about the dangers.

Back