• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Broken foot? U/D bite wound.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Omg. I have just noticed Xena limping. I think she has broken her foot. :cry: :cry: I have no idea what to do. I have given her some metacam to take the edge off. She has been quiet all day today but I didn't think anything of it, I feel awful, what if she did it yesterday? :cry: :cry: My poor girl, she must be in agony. :cry:

Will she need to see a vet ASAP? I don't want to drag her to the vets tonight just to be told I need to come back tomorrow. I can't believe I missed it. I really can't. I'm so stupid! I should have known right away that something wasn't right.

Last edited:
Why do you think it is broken?

Limping can just mean sore, if you are sure it is broken then I think she does need a vet. But I would ring them now and discuss it with them, I know my out of ours service will let me talk to a vet free of charge and they can advise what is best.

I hope it isn't broken and she feels better soon, plus don't feel guilty as rabbits are experts at hiding pain and injury, you weren't to know xxx

Hi. It feels very swollen and "wrong". :cry: I can't see exactly what is wrong because she is very fluffy and it really is so painful. I hope it is something simple and I'm over reacting, but this morning she can barely hop. :cry:

I rang the vets last night and they said that there's not really much they can do until morning anyway and to just keep her quiet. The dose of metacam was ok- 0.5mls of the dog one- and to bring her in at half 8 today (before it actually opens).

I have no idea what they can do for her if it is her foot/toes. I am really just hoping it is something like a thorn or bee sting that is infected or something. :cry:

Well the vet shaved her foot (Xena was a very good girl and let her do it with only a bit of protest). She has two wounds on her toes, it looks like Fiver has bitten her. :cry: It's starting to get infected and it's very inflamed and sore, she has got a load of antibiotics and some loxicom to take the swelling down and take the edge off. The vet said that even if the bone was involved, it's far enough at the end of her toes not to effect her.
I have no idea why Fiver would have bitten her. I know they have been chasing a bit at feeding times but they haven't been fur pulling (having said that there was a bit of fur in the run the other day...wonder if that was when he bit her?) He has been lovely and been lying with her and grooming her none-stop. I honestly don't know where to go from here. I would normally say that if a rabbit has really injured another, they need to be separated but they still seem bonded and I have seen absolutely no fighting. Just the nipping and chasing at feeding times (it's been more than usual) which I put down to spring fever.

Perhaps keep an eye on them and if you feel they need it reduce the space down a wee bit.

He may have accidentally bitten her as they were getting food, and its just unfortunate that its ended up like this.
Poor baby, glad she's got all her meds xxxxxxx

Thank you. :)

natsusakura - I am hoping this is what happened. I'm certain it happened when they were out in their run on the grass; it was the first time they had been out on JUST grass this year, so they were munching rather enthusiastically. I'm wondering if he nipped her to move her off something yummy and just caught her in the wrong place. :( Obviously there isn't much fur and fat on their toes so a nip would cause quite a bit of damage. This is what I'm hoping.
I've been keeping a very close eye on them. Fiver seems quite subdued, I hope this is just because Xena is very quiet and he is feeling confused and bored. He has been grooming her more than usual, he'd better be saying sorry! :lol:

Thank you. :)

natsusakura - I am hoping this is what happened. I'm certain it happened when they were out in their run on the grass; it was the first time they had been out on JUST grass this year, so they were munching rather enthusiastically. I'm wondering if he nipped her to move her off something yummy and just caught her in the wrong place. :( Obviously there isn't much fur and fat on their toes so a nip would cause quite a bit of damage. This is what I'm hoping.
I've been keeping a very close eye on them. Fiver seems quite subdued, I hope this is just because Xena is very quiet and he is feeling confused and bored. He has been grooming her more than usual, he'd better be saying sorry! :lol:

awww bless, it does sound as though it was an accident.
And I do beleie he'll be able to tell she's not feeling too good.

Have you to keep cleaning it out with wam salt water or just leave it as is?

I prescribe lot's of noserubbingss for both :love:

Try not to worry too much. Pea and Pod have a major scrap every spring :roll: and Pod now has one massive nostril and one normal one as a result :shock:. This year, she received another large scratch/bite on her nose and a big lump of fur and flesh from her neck. They're the best of friends again now :roll:. Perhaps give them their food in two separate bowls so that they have one each?

Try not to worry too much. Pea and Pod have a major scrap every spring :roll: and Pod now has one massive nostril and one normal one as a result :shock:. This year, she received another large scratch/bite on her nose and a big lump of fur and flesh from her neck. They're the best of friends again now :roll:. Perhaps give them their food in two separate bowls so that they have one each?

They don't eat out of bowls, I scatter feed because Xena eats so quickly, she gives herself gas. :shock: They chase each other when I walk in the room at feeding times and only stop when the food is on the floor. :roll: They chase when I top their hay up too, but not as bad.
They have definitely been worse this passed week. I really hope this isn't going to be a yearly occurrence! :shock:

Poor Pod! I would not know what to do in that situation, especially if it was just once a year that they really hurt each other. I wonder if their personalities just clash? Fiver and Xena are both very dominant, fortunately Fiver seems to relent to Xena. She never humps him but will nip him if he "disobeys" and refuses point blankly to groom him! :lol: Poor Fiver, it's a good job he has me to boss about. :roll:

I really hope that once she feels better I don't start having bond issues. I honestly wouldn't know what to do. :cry:

Back