• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can someone explain a bit more?

Little_Girl

Warren Scout
Hi everyone and bunnies! :wave:

I took barbie to the vet for health check today, it was free as this week is the RAW!
everything was fine apart from inside her mouth, the vet found a few wee 'black spots',
which the vet explained that it is as a result of the upper teeth not closing completely with the lower ones...
and it is something similar to human ulcers..

i was assured by the vet that as long as i keep feed her with plenty of fibres and hard things e.g. apple wood to cut her teeth down, she will be fine!
but i still want to know more about it, can anyone help?:roll:

I don't know what your vet means by black spots.

What is your bunny's diet like at the moment? Apple/pear wood are good for chewing on, willow is good too. The most important thing, which I expect your vet would have told you today, is that hay should make up the most of a pet rabbit's diet.

Strange! I wonder if he meant he could see signs of teeth spurs cutting into the cheek.

Did he say whether it was front teeth/incisors or back teeth/cheek teeth/molars?

I can't help much, I just wanted to say the black dots are probably blood under the skin where she's caught the side of her mouth on her teeth. Like when we accidently catch our cheeks a bit whilst chewing it can come up in a little black dot of blood.

As for wearing the teeth down, I just give Harvey loads and loads of hay to keep his down. He munches all day on the stuff. I know there are another good things like the woods you've mentioned but I don't know much about them :oops: Harvey eats soooo much hay and still has small spurs though, but they're not cutting him at all so at least the hay is keeping them down enough even if not completely!

Harvey never used to eat much hay even though he had it there. To get him to eat more I reduced his meal sizes and treats, gave him a lot more hay, and also getting him Lilly helped! They always want to be the first one at the fresh hay pile :lol:

I don't know what your vet means by black spots.

What is your bunny's diet like at the moment? Apple/pear wood are good for chewing on, willow is good too. The most important thing, which I expect your vet would have told you today, is that hay should make up the most of a pet rabbit's diet.

atm she's eating the Ing hay + medow hay (8:2) as her main, and some veg daily e.g celery, green leaves, also small amount of pellets as a treat
yes vet did mention that i should give her loads of hay to wear her teeth down
i have ordered some apple wood online this morning, hope that will also help!

thanks for reply! :)

Strange! I wonder if he meant he could see signs of teeth spurs cutting into the cheek.

Did he say whether it was front teeth/incisors or back teeth/cheek teeth/molars?

yes, i think thats what he means!

i dont remember he mentions about the position of them :roll:

I can't help much, I just wanted to say the black dots are probably blood under the skin where she's caught the side of her mouth on her teeth. Like when we accidently catch our cheeks a bit whilst chewing it can come up in a little black dot of blood.

As for wearing the teeth down, I just give Harvey loads and loads of hay to keep his down. He munches all day on the stuff. I know there are another good things like the woods you've mentioned but I don't know much about them :oops: Harvey eats soooo much hay and still has small spurs though, but they're not cutting him at all so at least the hay is keeping them down enough even if not completely!

Harvey never used to eat much hay even though he had it there. To get him to eat more I reduced his meal sizes and treats, gave him a lot more hay, and also getting him Lilly helped! They always want to be the first one at the fresh hay pile :lol:

haha, sounds like there's a competition for hay between your buns! cute! :love:

ya i do always feed barbie with hay as the main, but she still got these wee black dots :(
vet explained this is normal even for healthy buns,
just need to keep an eye on, make sure she is not 'food picking' (only eat the soft food) and no wet chin....

Back