• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to make recovery food non-lumpy?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
It's so lumpy, I can't even syringe it up into the tube. If I do manage to get it up, I can't syringe it properly as every 2 seconds it gets clogged up.

I made it with 70ml of warm water as directed, stirred/shook it well, shook it well before using it... What am I missing here?

Mix it with baby food! Something like Ella's kitchen, I use the broccoli one! It makes it a nice consistency to easily syringe and tastes nicer for your bunny :)

bit more water and either cutting the tip off the syringe OR as I do cut the end off a pipette and use that instead

Ross uses some powder and water until he gets the consistency he wants.
If it get's too liquidy he adds more powder.

Never had a problem with it and only use 1ml syringes. Have never used any set amount of water, just put an amount of Recovery in a bowl and mixed in enough water to get it to the consistency that was easy to syringe, and have always used warm water. Maybe just forget about using whatever amount of water it says to use.

Argh I'm still having a nightmare with this!

As per all your suggestions, I've tried using 3 different size syringes and cutting the end of each of them I've tried mixing it up to various consistencies by eye rather than going by the manufacturers recommendation but they're either too lumpy or too thin. Right now it's so thin that I'm worried there's barely any powder in each syringe full but there's still lumps and it seperates when I leave it for 2 mins.

I'm about to go and buy some ella's baby food. How do I go about mixing it? Is it just the powder mixed with the babyfood or do you add water?

So I got the carrot ellas baby food and it's worked... in a rather unexpected way. The consistency is definitely better but Nena really doesn't seem to like being syringed the recovery food for some reason. It's so much easier to feed her the meds. Anyway so after she kept refusing I gave her the little tub and she ate it herself :lol: So hopefully she'll continue to eat it by herself when offered, as that'd be something less to syringe!

Hurrah :thumb: bless her nose stuffed in the tub :D yes they definitely prefer it with baby food!! Did you go for the broccoli one? The consistency is much better and easier to syringe... provided they allow you to do it, but eating it on her own is so much easier and much less stressful for everyone!!!

ETA just re-read you got the carrot one :D

Hurrah :thumb: bless her nose stuffed in the tub :D yes they definitely prefer it with baby food!! Did you go for the broccoli one? The consistency is much better and easier to syringe... provided they allow you to do it, but eating it on her own is so much easier and much less stressful for everyone!!!

:lol: I couldn't be happier to see her pigging out! I bought a broccoli one and a carrot one, but the one she's eating there is carrot. I must admit the carrot one smelt/tasted a lot better than the broccoli one, but I guess Nena might not agree! :lol:! Once this one is gone I'll try out the broccoli flavour and see what she thinks!

:lol: I couldn't be happier to see her pigging out! I bought a broccoli one and a carrot one, but the one she's eating there is carrot. I must admit the carrot one smelt/tasted a lot better than the broccoli one, but I guess Nena might not agree! :lol:! Once this one is gone I'll try out the broccoli flavour and see what she thinks!

Yes I can imagine the relief is amazing when they decide to eat for themselves!! I wonder, if she eats it like that maybe you could cut up some hay in very small pieces to mix in?

Yes I can imagine the relief is amazing when they decide to eat for themselves!! I wonder, if she eats it like that maybe you could cut up some hay in very small pieces to mix in?

That's a good idea, I might give that a try! The only other thing she's actually eating are pellets and grated parsnip/carrot, so there's definitely something to the small pieces thing. I'll try chopping some up in a bit :D

That's a good idea, I might give that a try! The only other thing she's actually eating are pellets and grated parsnip/carrot, so there's definitely something to the small pieces thing. I'll try chopping some up in a bit :D

Good luck, hope it works, it would be good to get some coarse fibre passing through :D

Back