• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits poo when they eat?

Fordinand

Warren Scout
I'm seeing a lot of poo around their bowl and I'm wondering if its because they poo when they eat it? If so, how can I get them to poo in their litter tray if they do it when they eat? Unless its just when they eat hay and they just seem to be getting it everywhere?
Thanks!

Yeah, are they neutered? Unneutered/unspayed rabbits can be more difficult to litter train because they mark their territory everywhere, by pooing and spraying.

That's why it's easier to fill litter trays with hay and keep hay racks above them as they eat and poo, but mine have never pooed by their food bowls or even when the hay rack was no where near the litter tray. But they're spayed and neutered so that might be why, I don't know, maybe they're just really clean! :)

Why size litter tray do they have? If its big or a storage box you could always put the food bowl in there.

Yeah, are they neutered? Unneutered/unspayed rabbits can be more difficult to litter train because they mark their territory everywhere, by pooing and spraying.

That's why it's easier to fill litter trays with hay and keep hay racks above them as they eat and poo, but mine have never pooed by their food bowls or even when the hay rack was no where near the litter tray. But they're spayed and neutered so that might be why, I don't know, maybe they're just really clean! :)

Why size litter tray do they have? If its big or a storage box you could always put the food bowl in there.

Not yet as they're 8 weeks. I try and keep the food bowl next to the tray so they at least poo around it, but people keep moving it and don't put it back properly -.- Yeah, there's had hay in it, I'm probably going to start putting hey above it too. Yeah you must have clen bunnies! :p

It's not the largest... For 1 maybe but not for 2. They can both fit but they have to adjust themselves to both fit! Someone recommended a storage box and I'm going to get one. Just don't know what type and size to get :/

Oh yes they poop A LOT :lol: my buns don't really poop while eating pallets but a lot when munching on hays. I think your buns are still too young - when I first had popcorn and jelly they poop and pee everywhere. It is just like from one day they start to know how to use their tray - I was joking - you do need to train them (like picking up their droppings and throw into their litter tray, soaking tissue with their pee and throw into their litter tray - as a hint). My buns learned fairly quickly but still they drop some occasionally in their playpen. Be patiently, and choose a suitable litter tray. My buns like to kick the litter out so I bought them cat litter tray with rim (http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=281035710341&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=53318030483) and it is more than enought for two adult sized mini lops. Hope would be helpful :D

Oh yes they poop A LOT :lol: my buns don't really poop while eating pallets but a lot when munching on hays. I think your buns are still too young - when I first had popcorn and jelly they poop and pee everywhere. It is just like from one day they start to know how to use their tray - I was joking - you do need to train them (like picking up their droppings and throw into their litter tray, soaking tissue with their pee and throw into their litter tray - as a hint). My buns learned fairly quickly but still they drop some occasionally in their playpen. Be patiently, and choose a suitable litter tray. My buns like to kick the litter out so I bought them cat litter tray with rim (http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=281035710341&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=53318030483) and it is more than enought for two adult sized mini lops. Hope would be helpful :D

I put their poo in their litter tray and stuff. But yeah, I guess they are a bit young and it takes time :) Funnily enough, to my best knowledge, they have only wee'd on my floor once! (I repeat... To my best knowledge!)

Thanks. I liked the look of it so I ordered one mainly for experimental purposes to see how it works out haha if it doesn't then I'll try the storage boxes :p Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

So I bought the tray. I'm really happy with it (so far!) and hopefully l goes well! I've tried putting the food bowl in the tray so hopefully there'll be less on the floor! There's still a bit if leg room for them too :) Thanks for the link!

So I bought the tray. I'm really happy with it (so far!) and hopefully l goes well! I've tried putting the food bowl in the tray so hopefully there'll be less on the floor! There's still a bit if leg room for them too :) Thanks for the link!

I'm so happy you and your buns like it! I've got two of them - one large one medium, for their playpen and beddin area. They've just been neutered on Thursday and apparently ilium side the tray is where they like to lay down the most :p I want to order some more to put in the corners of each room, if our landlord allow us to free range them in house! :lol:

Back