• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did Anyone Watch Animal Frontline Featuring Some Rabbits, One With Myxi ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
The RSPCA Inspector left the Rabbit in the 'care' of the person responsible for him/her for a further 24 hours to 'give him time to get the Rabbit to a Vet'

This did not happen and the Rabbit was eventually PTS. But he/she suffered unnecessarily for a further 24 hours

Also, there were 2 other Rabbits at the property and it was stated that 'because of the intervention of the RSPCA these Rabbits were protected from catching Myxi '

No mention of how Myxi is actually spread or about Vaccination

The feeding advice given was that the Rabbits should have a full bowl of Rabbit Mix all day every day and straw for bedding, which is OK for them to eat too

A very poor message to give the general public re Rabbits

This is the episode:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s9kgr/Animal_Frontline_Episode_3/

Yeah, I saw that episode, it was mentioned on hear a few days ago!!!

Thought the RSPCA were well out of order...in any case, the hutches were tiny, no mention of size of hutch either...

They also mention, the owner clearly loves his rabbits.... aye right... let someone who clearly doesn't give a stuff look after them then while you are away for a month...that really is loving your rabbits...

Grrr.... poor wee buns...

The RSPCA were collecting outside my local Tesco recently. I got chatting to the lady with the collection tin as she asked me if I was a cat or dog lover. I replied neither I was a rabbit lover and was telling her about my two bunnies. She then informed me they lived very well with guinea pigs. I politely corrected her - pointing out about different dietary requirements etc. I couldn't remember the name of the disease rabbits could pass to piggies but not suffer from themselves and at this point the uniformed rspca officer butted in and said "oh yes myxamatosis". I was some what shocked - I admit my rabbit knowledge has only been gleaned over the last couple of months but these people are advising the public.

UGH :censored: You know what, after my (fairly) recent dealings with the RSPCA regarding rabbits I was disgusted and I had always been pro-RSPCA and stood up for them. The inspector who came when I was there saw 3 seriously ill bunnies and still declared she was satisfied despite half not having water and obvious signs of dental disease :evil: and because I kept calling to lodge further complaints they made me out to be a weirdo. Really left me depressed and angry that bunnies that were obviously suffering were left and declared "fine" :?

It is so sad that rubbish information is STILL being spread. Poor bunny, RIP.

The RSPCA were collecting outside my local Tesco recently. I got chatting to the lady with the collection tin as she asked me if I was a cat or dog lover. I replied neither I was a rabbit lover and was telling her about my two bunnies. She then informed me they lived very well with guinea pigs. I politely corrected her - pointing out about different dietary requirements etc. I couldn't remember the name of the disease rabbits could pass to piggies but not suffer from themselves and at this point the uniformed rspca officer butted in and said "oh yes myxamatosis". I was some what shocked - I admit my rabbit knowledge has only been gleaned over the last couple of months but these people are advising the public.

They shouldn't be. Fundraisers usually have no input in the animals and their 'job' is to raise money. It is possibly the most important job a volunteer can have as without them we wouldn't be able to take in any animals at all. However they shouldn't be giving advice about things they don't know. I would find out which is your local branch and ring up and speak to someone there to let them know.

They shouldn't be. Fundraisers usually have no input in the animals and their 'job' is to raise money. It is possibly the most important job a volunteer can have as without them we wouldn't be able to take in any animals at all. However they shouldn't be giving advice about things they don't know. I would find out which is your local branch and ring up and speak to someone there to let them know.

I guessed the lady was a volunteer, and was very polite, however the guy setting up was a uniformed RSPCA person

I guessed the lady was a volunteer, and was very polite, however the guy setting up was a uniformed RSPCA person

If not even all vets (who have 7 years of training) know about proper rabbit care how can we expect unpaid volunteers to. ;)

It's up to people like us to educate where we can, especially to people like her who obviously love animals. :)

Back