• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letting indoor bunnies out.

MissSherwood89

Mama Doe
We all know to be careful when letting indoors bunnies out when it's too cold, but what about in the heat? We love taking the bunnies into the garden but it's currently 20C outside. It's lovely and cool in our bedroom and, even though our garden is quite shaded, is there a limit for it being too warm? Don't want them to overheat (especially fluffybum Mylo!).

I haven't had Spenser out yet, but on nice days it is very tempting. I would er on the side of caution if the temperature difference is going to be more than a few degrees, and also not have them out too long.

Yeah, pretty sure I've read that bunnies tend to prefer cooler temps than warm. They're quite happy snoozing at the moment, might just leave them to it.

As long as they had some shaded part to go to then they should be ok for a wee while out :)

I had Lola out yesterday evening and she was taken into the house when it started to get chilli. I think she enjoyed it. Wish i had a bigger area for her to run in.

My buns are indoor and they go out in their run when I'm in and it's nice outside. Yesterday they spent 7 hours in their run on the grass (they have been slowly introduced to the grass).

I have a carrier and a little hut in there for them to get out of the sun, as well as a blanket that goes over their run to shade them. In summer when it gets very warm, I put in cold water bottles for them to lie against (although they never do! :roll:).
I have put ice cubes in their water bowl in the past to keep it cool, but they rarely drink when they are eating grass.

My bedroom (where they live) is south facing and it does get very warm in there. I have a fan that I put on for them, just to keep the air moving, my window is open if I'm in and I have laminate flooring for them to lie on. Fortunately the sun only shines in through the window on a morning and I keep the blinds closed to try to keep the temperature down. Generally is cooler outside than inside, and my bunnies much prefer being out in the fresh air at the height of summer!

My Benji absolutely LOVES the outdoors, he goes mental. It's the only time I ever see him run around like mad and binky.
He doesn't seem phased by heat at all, but I think as long as there is plenty of shade and to drink, they should be ok. I have noticed that Benji chooses to lie on the grass in the shade, or in the bushes. :)

I put Doughnut out but she has a choice of shade to sleep in. She loves the sun though especially on her face, if there is a bit indoors she lays flat out in it with her head on the floor having a good sunbathe. I think she prefers the heat to the cold as in the winter I often open the conservatory door to encourage her to go and have a good run around in there, I go out there but she doesn't follow me. Just stays in the warm!

We have let Bramble out for a hop (and to torment the other buns!) over the last few days. We normally let him have about an hour, and then bring him back in. He's a bit of a sun worshiper!

I put Doughnut out but she has a choice of shade to sleep in. She loves the sun though especially on her face, if there is a bit indoors she lays flat out in it with her head on the floor having a good sunbathe. I think she prefers the heat to the cold as in the winter I often open the conservatory door to encourage her to go and have a good run around in there, I go out there but she doesn't follow me. Just stays in the warm!

Mine seek out the heat too and do exactly the same as doughnut and flop out in sunny spots when it comes through the window! In the winter if the fire goes on Dudley deliberately seeks the nearest place to it!

My two went outside for a couple of hours today, and flopped in the shade when they needed to!

dash and beauty have been going out a lot since march, during the winter it was about 30 mins at a time.
beauty loved the snow.

Back