• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best way to introduce a toy, and what does head butting mean?

My rabbit is only 8 weeks old, and is lonely so i bought him a teddy. What is the best way to introduce it to him? I also have a pet blanket to give him, so this would be very useful advice.

Another thing, the other day when i stroked his cheek, he head butted my hand. Does this mean he wants me to go away, or stroke him more? Furthermore, if he chatters his teeth (sounds like a human when they chatter their teeth because of the cold) when he's being held and stroked, what does this mean?

I really want my new rabbit to feel at home, but i do not know what he means by this. :)

Maybe put the teddy bear in a far corner, he can check it out if he wants or similarly leave it alone, really the better thing to do if he is lonely is to get him a buddy. Head butting: sounds like he may want more pets. Teeth chattering: Is it really chattering? Or does it maybe sound more like grinding? Because rabbits can actually purr with their teeth, or he may be in pain and grinding them, I'd observe when he does it, does he seem content or in pain?

Maybe put the teddy bear in a far corner, he can check it out if he wants or similarly leave it alone, really the better thing to do if he is lonely is to get him a buddy. Head butting: sounds like he may want more pets. Teeth chattering: Is it really chattering? Or does it maybe sound more like grinding? Because rabbits can actually purr with their teeth, or he may be in pain and grinding them, I'd observe when he does it, does he seem content or in pain?

I'm not sure, but i'd say he wasn't in pain. And it was definitely chattering. And is it good that he comes and sniffs my hand when i'm cleaning his cage out?

Sounds to me like your rabbit wants to be friends. Sniffing your hand is investigating you. Pushing with his head is wanting more strokes and the tooth chattering noise sounds like the contented 'tooth purring' rabbits do when enjoying being stroked. You may want to consider getting him neutered and matched up with a neutered companion. (male and female work best). Rescues can advise on bonding and can sometimes do the initial bond. All in all it sounds like you are off to a really great start with your rabbit :wave:

I love it when Benji does this. :love:
When Benji does it, it sounds like a chew more than anything, just like he's chewing but with nothing in his mouth. He does it everytime I stroke him and he puts his head down. :love:

Back