• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant Id help please!

katie88

Mama Doe
I went foraging today and got lots of great stuff but there were a few things I couldn't identify (not given to them but would be good to know for next time).

This first one has leaves that look a bit like young bramble but no thorns. It was on a small tree-like thing rather than a bush.
20130506_154914.jpg

These 2 I've seen loads of times before and for some reason don't think they're bunny safe but wanted to check as there was so much of it:
20130506_144554.jpg

20130506_144538.jpg

I'm NOT an expert so don't take my word for it but.......

The first one looks like beech or hazel. The second one looks like Cow Parsley (not to be confused with Hemlock which is very similar but has purple blotches on the stem and smells very mousey when the leaves are crushed). Cow Parsley is safe for buns. Hazel is also safe and I *think* beech is as well. I don't know what the stuff in the third photo is. It looks a bit like the cow parsley but I don't think it's the same as the leaves are different.

Hemlock is poisonous - if in doubt - don't feed any of it to your bunnies.

Thanks mackers, I will try googling the names you've suggested and see if they look right. I wouldn't risk if not certain but seems such a shame to miss if they are safe as there was loads of it all! Thanks for your reply.

OK, I've been searching the net the last hour as I found your second plant in my garden as couldn't remember what it was called or whether it is safe for buns or not.

But 2nd one is Cow parsley {Anthriscus sylvestris} ( as it doesn't have purple blotches on stem) and third one I believe to be Alexanders {Smyrnium olusatrum} but not sure if safe for buns to eat.

I'd also like to know how safe these two are.

p.s. I found a great site for identifying weeds...a little complicated to get used to, but an encyclopedia of images and information

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/

Last edited:
Back