• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is flystrike a risk to healthy buns too ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
I feel embarrassed to ask. I know its a risk with bunnies with mucky bottoms, outdoor and indoors but what about healthy buns with no issues ?

I dread the flies coming and I clean my outdoor buns litter tray everyday, but no matter how clean they are, I have seen the odd fly.

I feel embarrassed to ask. I know its a risk with bunnies with mucky bottoms, outdoor and indoors but what about healthy buns with no issues ?

I dread the flies coming and I clean my outdoor buns litter tray everyday, but no matter how clean they are, I have seen the odd fly.

There is an article about it in the new Rabbiting On, I've just read it in the garden! It says that healthy buns who are able to clean themselves properly should be fine, but you should check regularly just in case xx

There is an article about it in the new Rabbiting On, I've just read it in the garden! It says that healthy buns who are able to clean themselves properly should be fine, but you should check regularly just in case xx

Thanks. I haven't had bunnies outside for over 4 years, until September last year but it was cooling down and there were no flies.

I will do regular bottom checks. They will not like it but better safe than sorry.

Thanks. I haven't had bunnies outside for over 4 years, until September last year but it was cooling down and there were no flies.

I will do regular bottom checks. They will not like it but better safe than sorry.

It is much easier to check if you just give them a treat, then lift their tails to look, rather than picking them up. Mine don't mind me having a good look this way, even without treats :wave:

Healthy rabbits are at much lower risk but still a risk.

Thanks.

It is much easier to check if you just give them a treat, then lift their tails to look, rather than picking them up. Mine don't mind me having a good look this way, even without treats :wave:

Bandit would hit the roof if I lifted his tail. :shock: He jumps if I ever touch his nose. Poor boy is a nervy bunny but I will give it a try.

Knowing that Mimzy is now having some incontinence issues and sometimes the odd mucky bum, I had his bits' area shaved during his dental the other day, just to make it easier both for him to reach his cecals and for me to give him a brush up should he need one. :)
Will be doing the same for the other two as their dentals/appointments turn up.
In Alaska one of the first things you notice about break up (besides the snow melting) is the mud and the flies/mosquitoes. We already have a few buzzing about and it just makes me cringe because one of my Bridge cats sadly took ill with flystrike and it was something we never anticipated for him. He survived it but was never the same and died a few years later of a heart condition that I fear may have been related. It is a terrible thing. :cry:

((((((Snuggles for Bandit)))))) my heart goes out to the nervy buns. You just wish you could tell them they don't have to be so jittery and have it be alright for them.

Back