• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She has gone :(

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday Mona who has already had one stroke was out to graze in the garden. She was nibbling grass and seemed fine but all of a sudden she fell over. She was breathing steadily and made no attempt to get back up. She started to close her eyes. I waited a few seconds before picking her up and setting her on her feet. She stayed on her feet and went back to nibbling as though nothing had happened. Everything was normal. Then this morning I found her lying on her tummy with the back legs and one front leg splayed out. Not matter how I set her one her feet she wouldn't walk. She isn't floppy but just won/can't walk. She is still eating (masticating slowly though), weeing and pooping. She licked me and her companion. She took her medication as normal and showed excitement when I prepared her breakfast. But she is quieter and not really moving. She drags herself about a little but nothing beyond that.

I have called the vet for a phone consult and am waiting for his call back. I'm not sure she is up to a trip in but if the vet advises it of course we will take her in. Could her fall yesterday been a second stroke? And is it possible for symptoms to be delayed? I'm worried that perhaps she is nearing the end :( I want to do everything I can for her and make sure she is as comfortable as possible.

Last edited:
If you pinch her toes on the effected limbs can she feel it ?

Are there any areas of pain along her spine ?

No reaction to the spine being examined and very slight reaction in toes. She pulled her hind leg away ever so slightly but that was it. There is tension in her front paws as she is using them to hold herself up. I have given her a small pillow to rest on in the meantime.

The vet felt certain it was a stroke because of the paralysis and lack of reaction to having her toes pinched. She didn't need to go in, but she is back on fortekor for the time being. She has been so so this evening. I changed her pillow and she couldn't stay upright. But then after a drink and some pellets she is more upright and supporting herself. She had some parsley and I don't know if it cause this but she had a bit of a poo explosion a few hours later. Mind you it might be the meds I suppose.

Thank you guys. She is having trouble eating now, eats very little and very slowly. Her face isn't visibly drooping but we think this is what has happened because its on the same side as her now paralysed fore leg and hind leg. Am not really sure what to do. I think the end is coming but I don't know whether to take her to the vet and have him put her to sleep or leave her where she is comfortable. I just don't know what to do. It would be cruel to leave her although she is not in pain but I also feel it would be cruel to move her when she just wants to rest. Right now she is lying down against her pillow with her ears up, eyes half closed. She seems as though she can't be bothered with hay or pellets this morning but she did seem very eager and keen to get her raisins (she gets two because I have to hide her tablets in them). She made a big effort to stand up and drag herself forwards to me as soon as she heard the packet being opened.

I've only ever had one pet pts before and I still feel guilty about it, feel like I did it too soon :? Its so hard to know what to do.

I am so sorry she is like this. Only you can know when is best for her to leave. Hugs to you and nose rubs to mona.

Mona has not responded to the medication :( She is so immobile now, she literally can't move and would lie in the same spot all day if I didn't move her around. Her poos are a mixture of really good and really big splats that she can't help but lie upon. She only eats and drinks when offered. I think it would be too cruel to let her die naturally in this state. I think I have to help her to the bridge :cry::cry::cry: I am crying so hard right now. I feel so guilty, like such a traitor. She has been my loyal loving friend for 11 years and now I am going to help her die :(
I don't know what else to do though. She is so unresponsive now, she no longer gets pleasure from life anymore. She has gone from being slightly disabled and bubbly in character to now extremely disabled and consonantly morose or depressed. Maybe I am doing the wrong thing :( I guess the vet can advise tomorrow. We have to be in for 10.45. I'm not sure I can do it, I'm ashamed to admit I am scared to go in. I've done this before but somehow this time it feels harder, more painful. And I know that is selfish because its how I feel. I want what is best for Mona but I feel really mixed up now.
It is cruel to keep her going isn't it? She can't do the same things anymore. Her quality of life has been reduced quite considerably hasn't it? :(

I'm so sorry. 11 is a brilliant age, but it does seem as though the time as come. Only you can make that decision. What does your gut instinct tell you?

Sending hugs and vibes to your beloved bunny. x

Mona has not responded to the medication :( She is so immobile now, she literally can't move and would lie in the same spot all day if I didn't move her around. Her poos are a mixture of really good and really big splats that she can't help but lie upon. She only eats and drinks when offered. I think it would be too cruel to let her die naturally in this state. I think I have to help her to the bridge :cry::cry::cry: I am crying so hard right now. I feel so guilty, like such a traitor. She has been my loyal loving friend for 11 years and now I am going to help her die :(
I don't know what else to do though. She is so unresponsive now, she no longer gets pleasure from life anymore. She has gone from being slightly disabled and bubbly in character to now extremely disabled and consonantly morose or depressed. Maybe I am doing the wrong thing :( I guess the vet can advise tomorrow. We have to be in for 10.45. I'm not sure I can do it, I'm ashamed to admit I am scared to go in. I've done this before but somehow this time it feels harder, more painful. And I know that is selfish because its how I feel. I want what is best for Mona but I feel really mixed up now.
It is cruel to keep her going isn't it? She can't do the same things anymore. Her quality of life has been reduced quite considerably hasn't it? :(

i always think that a peaceful and dignified passing is the last act of love we can give

although i know the pain that giving that final gift will cause us

:cry:

I'm so sorry. 11 is a brilliant age, but it does seem as though the time as come. Only you can make that decision. What does your gut instinct tell you?

Sending hugs and vibes to your beloved bunny. x

I can't say or add anything other than this, other than i'm sorry and it's such a hard decision. x

I can totally sympathise with you right now. Mona is just how Inca was. A poorly and disabled wee girl that just got too ill.

I spent my last days with Inca cuddling her and crying. All that Inca would do is lie in her donut, then struggle to get about when she wanted to move. Her mind and spirit was 100% there but her wee body was broken. So it was hard for me making the decision when she was alert in her mind.

It is really rotten that you have to be the one that makes the decision. Whatever one you make you will be wondering if it was the right one.

Thinking of you and Mona xx

i always think that a peaceful and dignified passing is the last act of love we can give

although i know the pain that giving that final gift will cause us

:cry:

I know this is true. I think my gut has been telling me that since Sunday I should have done this before now. I feel so utterly guilty to have kept her going this long on various tablets in her state. I think part of my guilt is coming from that. Months ago my grandmother said it was animal cruelty to keep her alive after the first stroke, ever since then her words have haunted me :( But my mum and dad, OH and brother and vet all agreed that Mona was bubbly and still had energy, the will to live and quality of life. All that has gone now. She can't walk, graze, do normal toilet, play, there is no fur on her ankles or rear end, she needs bathed several times a day, she is on bedding which needs constant changing. She is getting fed and watered on the hour every hour, she is being medicated twice a day, we have to carry her everywhere, she can't interact with her mate as much, she doesn't eat hay or grass anymore, she can't groom herself, she shuts her eyes and seems to rest, she has shrunk in length and she is painfully thin although she was thin before all this anyway, thin with old age but now I can feel all her bones :( She has bladder issues, liver issues, paralysis, glaucoma and blindness, incontinence and now can't seem to cope with too much fresh herbs in case they cause her toilet problems.

Writing all that down, that huge list of wrongs in her life, I think that is it. I should never have let her get to that stage. I don't know what I was thinking. God forgive me for being so cruel. PTS really is the kinder option isn't it? All those conditions, its too much, too much for one wee bunny to take :cry::cry:

Back