• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home hutches

Alicia

Mama Doe
I bought a pets at home hutch last summer for my guinea-pigs, they lived in it for about 4 months before they moved into a different pen in the wendy house for the winter. During this four months the floor broke (still useable but its now slanted and theres a small gap at the back) I didn't think much about it at the time as it was still useable, but now I've just got the hutch out again I've seen it again and it's annoying me :lol: It wasn't cheap but the wood is! It annoys me that pets at home are allowed to keep doing what their doing (with the animals and with their hutches) and nothing is changed. I spent most of my birthday money on that hutch last year and it is rubbish. As I said it's still useable so I know I shouldn't moan about it but pets at home is really bothering me at the moment :evil: :lol: I know this is probably meant for housing but I want to put it here just in case anyone is considering buying a pets at home hutch I wouldn't recommend them at all. I've had three and they've all been cheap, rubbish hutches which were no good for outside and all broke within 2 years. Rant over, sorry about that :)

Last edited:
Yeah my ones are awful... really flimsy floors (one that a bun managed to chew through in 1 night :? :roll: ) deffo wouldn't use them outside, i'd be terrified of foxes breaking in

Oh don't get me started on their hutches. I had a summer lodge which i got with my boys (i now know was too small). The floor gave way, the roof leaked and a door fell off all in the space of 5 months. They did replace it with a bluebell hideaway after much badgering by me, which my indoor pair currently have (bonded quicker than i was ready for). It's a bit better seems more solid. But they seem to be eating their way out of it :roll:

I also have a Dandilion den which the divider fell off of in 2 weeks flat. It was Belles indoor hutch pre bond so not a huge issue as it gave her more space. When i moved Belle and Bramble out of it i realised just how damaged it was. The pull out tray is on its last legs, the support bars for it are falling off. The doors are just hanging on to the hinges too. Belle was only in it for three and a half months.

Dh has fixed up the dandilion to use as a hutch if anyones sick but the summer lodge has had it. We chopped it up and used it to make some garden toys for the bunnys :D.

Ours was ok too it was the 5 foot double one, MissNikNak has it now for Nof. DH did put it together very well though, and he screwed the floor down which it didn't say to do, but it was absolutely fine.

My dad bought one once and it was awful, the doors didn't go down to the hutch floor, there was a fairly high strip of wood in the way so you couldn't just sweep bedding out so that made it hard to clean, the bedroom area was like a built in box so they could go in or jump in it, except if they wanted to go in they had to flatten down because it was so low, also making it impossible to clean or get the rabbits out, and to top it all off, the roof fell in a few months after getting it :roll:

Back