• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning around bunnies

Fordinand

Warren Scout
Hi, just a quick question. When you clean your home, do you remove your rabbits from the room you're cleaning e.g. If you're using polish or anti-bac?

Also, would you say it was okay for rabbits to live in your bedroom? (in a rabbit cage).

I got 2 dwarf rabbits today. I polished my room, they're not in my room right now. But I was wondering also if people thought against having them in bedrooms.

Thanks!

i would remove rabbits when polishing/using spray etc yes. quite a few people on here have rabbits living in their bedroom, i think they would be much more against keeping it in a cage :lol: i think its quite nice to have them in your room as they get lots of interaction, it just depends how easily you could bunny proof it :)

i would remove rabbits when polishing/using spray etc yes. quite a few people on here have rabbits living in their bedroom, i think they would be much more against keeping it in a cage :lol: i think its quite nice to have them in your room as they get lots of interaction, it just depends how easily you could bunny proof it :)

Okay thanks :) I'm going to be honest and say my rabbits won't be 'living' on the floor as in unattended and stuff. But I will let her out of the cage once in a while to have a play and stretch their legs and stuff. I heard that going to their level when their out the cage can support bonding.
I'm getting a play pen soon so I'll put that outside with some toys and hiding places so they can get some fresh air and stuff.

Sorry if people are against me putting them in cages and stuff. It's just what I really feel is best.

Thanks! x

Okay thanks :) I'm going to be honest and say my rabbits won't be 'living' on the floor as in unattended and stuff. But I will let her out of the cage once in a while to have a play and stretch their legs and stuff. I heard that going to their level when their out the cage can support bonding.
I'm getting a play pen soon so I'll put that outside with some toys and hiding places so they can get some fresh air and stuff.

Sorry if people are against me putting them in cages and stuff. It's just what I really feel is best.

Thanks! x

I think it sounds as though you are trying your best to provide as good a home as you can for them. I just wondered though if you realised that ideally cages should only be used as a rabbits bedroom at night, and they do need to spend most of the day, every day, out of their cage doing all their usual bunny things. I was just a little concerned when you said about once in a while, because that could mean, a couple of times a month, and you would soon have terribly unhappy, unhealthy bunnies, if they are not getting plenty of time out of their cage on a daily basis.

I always put my bunnies in another room whilst cleaning. The most important reason being is that lots of cleaners that smell very strongly, especially ones like bleach, are very irritant to bunnies very sensitive respiratory systems, and secondly because even when I am not cleaning, maybe just hovering, the bunnies drive me mad because they have such a fixation with the hoover, and one of my buns is always chasing it and slowing me down :roll:

No because I don't use chemicals. I clean with safe things like vinegar, water, soap, etc. But yes you should always remove pets when using chemicals or anything with a strong scent :)

I think it sounds as though you are trying your best to provide as good a home as you can for them. I just wondered though if you realised that ideally cages should only be used as a rabbits bedroom at night, and they do need to spend most of the day, every day, out of their cage doing all their usual bunny things. I was just a little concerned when you said about once in a while, because that could mean, a couple of times a month, and you would soon have terribly unhappy, unhealthy bunnies, if they are not getting plenty of time out of their cage on a daily basis.

I always put my bunnies in another room whilst cleaning. The most important reason being is that lots of cleaners that smell very strongly, especially ones like bleach, are very irritant to bunnies very sensitive respiratory systems, and secondly because even when I am not cleaning, maybe just hovering, the bunnies drive me mad because they have such a fixation with the hoover, and one of my buns is always chasing it and slowing me down :roll:

Oh of course. I meant once in a while daily, definitely not twice a month! Sorry for the confusion. I've ordered a playpen for them, in the reviews a lot of people bought 2 to make them even bigger so depending on the size of it then I might do that too. I'm going to try them out of their cage without the run (as we don't have it yet) and see what happens! I'm going to try my best and make sure that they don't go behind my telly or in a 'certain' corner of my room... Spider webs everywhere! haha But I'll quickly try and rabbit proof those areas :p

Yeah I'll keep mine out of the room then when cleaning haha aww bless it :p

Last edited:
No because I don't use chemicals. I clean with safe things like vinegar, water, soap, etc. But yes you should always remove pets when using chemicals or anything with a strong scent :)

I use water, from time to time. Depends what we've got at the time I guess. Might use water more often though! :)

Our buns live in the whole flat with us :lol:
We bunny proofed every room, so that when we're in the living room, they're there with us, then when we go to bed they go in the bedroom too.
I found it a lot easier to do that, rather than setting up panels and play pens, then they've got all the space to run about in.
They also jump on the bed in a morning for a fuss. :love:

We take them out the room when cleaning too, as whenever you're doing something on the floor they're there with their paws on your back. :wave:

Mine are all free range house buns. Generally I don't use harmful sprays. I have an animal safe cleaner I bought online from thehayexperts.com. Except in the bathroom but I just close the door so that they can't get in.

If I need to do a deep clean using sprays or bleach etc I wait until a nice day when they can go out on the balconies.

Our buns live in the whole flat with us :lol:
We bunny proofed every room, so that when we're in the living room, they're there with us, then when we go to bed they go in the bedroom too.
I found it a lot easier to do that, rather than setting up panels and play pens, then they've got all the space to run about in.
They also jump on the bed in a morning for a fuss. :love:

We take them out the room when cleaning too, as whenever you're doing something on the floor they're there with their paws on your back. :wave:

I'm trying to sort my room so it's bunny proofed. I am going to let them wander around regardless though and make sure they don't go anywhere they shouldn't... I'm thinking how hard could it be? My job consists of running after children too haha I'll see how it goes I guess :)

Mine are in my bedroom. They're in a dog pen as a base. They used to be entirely free range but my female is far too destructive and was making herself ill eating wallpaper and things.

I don't polish in my room, but I don't move them if I hoover or anything.

Mine are all free range house buns. Generally I don't use harmful sprays. I have an animal safe cleaner I bought online from thehayexperts.com. Except in the bathroom but I just close the door so that they can't get in.

If I need to do a deep clean using sprays or bleach etc I wait until a nice day when they can go out on the balconies.

I'll look into that. I've seen some animal safe cleaners I was going to get. I guess I'll try this out of cage stuff and see how I get on :)

Back