• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hard of Hearing/ Deaf bunnies

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
I am fairly convinced that Smudge is exceptionally hard of hearing . If i go into shed rattling pellets or shouting... Willow will come racing but Smudge will only react if i physically shove/ waft pellets in his face. I know lops are prone to this.

If Willow bolts and Smudge is there, he'll take off too. But if alone, he doesnt seem to startle unless i am literally in his face!!

Are there any suggestions you can make to ensure its easy for him. He is an outdoor bun. Given predators could sneak up, suggestions welcome.

Fee x

Mini is a bit like this too but she's very in tune to the other two. If they come running, so does she. :)

if you patter heavily on the ground a bit as you walk towards him he should feel the vibrations and know you're coming. its what we do for elmo :thumb:

Try rustling a packet of food behind him when he's not lookig at you, if he reacts then he has some hearing.

If he doesn't then there's not much you can do to help him apart from speak when you pop in to see them, hopefully the vibrations would be felt and he would react to them.
Hell rely on willow a lot. Shell be good for him :)
Parsley seems to be kinda deaf and also slight sight problems.
He has to have the food right under his nose now.
But he's happy enough :)

We didn't realise that Fred was deaf until George died - he was so quick to react to her reactions that he was always aware but now you can get right up to him without him realising! He's a house bunny so it's not such a problem. I would think he'll be fine if Willow reacts and he's always with her though.

Thanks all .. I have literally had to touch him to tell him i am there.. I am heavy footed and always bellow!!! Voice like a foghorn.

My problem is , he isnt always with Willow. She is feisty and often independent and slopes off herself!!!i have tried to put hay tray in middle of run to he has all round vision...

I can understand your concern, but remember that up to a point buns can adapt to deficiency in one sense by making extra-good use of the others. He might be able to scent any possible danger, even if he can't hear it.

Spenser has poor sight, being a REW, but very good hearing.

My bridge bunny Roger was deaf, and the only thing I always made a point of doing, was approaching him from the front, especially when picking him up, so that he could see me, as I think it is very alarming for deaf bunnies to suddenly be grabbed from behind.

I am starting to think Jaffa is deaf.

This morning he was eating with his back to me when I went in to him - there was no response to the door opening (which is very creaky) and me calling him. Then when he turned round and saw me he was so startled.

Unfortunately I live in a flat so I can't stamp around on the floor or the lady downstairs will be angry.
(It was pretty funny carrying a whole hay bale and 20kg of aubiose up two flights of stairs yesterday.)

I think when my downstairs neighbour has gone out I will try shouting at him. I used to think he just didn't know his name, but now I don't think he can hear anything poor poppet.

I am starting to think Jaffa is deaf.

This morning he was eating with his back to me when I went in to him - there was no response to the door opening (which is very creaky) and me calling him. Then when he turned round and saw me he was so startled.

Unfortunately I live in a flat so I can't stamp around on the floor or the lady downstairs will be angry.
(It was pretty funny carrying a whole hay bale and 20kg of aubiose up two flights of stairs yesterday.)

I think when my downstairs neighbour has gone out I will try shouting at him. I used to think he just didn't know his name, but now I don't think he can hear anything poor poppet.

Is Jaffa a lop? I think lops naturally have a harder time hearing as their earholes are covered by their ears. Mini can hear but not as well as my uppy eared two.

My little Casper is deaf and his vision is poor(hes a rescue and we dont really know why he has these issues)He relies very heavily on his bunny wife (who is blind in one eye)but between them they seem to cope well.Casper doesnt seem to get too stressed and i think he could have been this way since birth.Because of both issues its almost impossible to approach him with him knowing straight away.If im bringing a treat though he doesnt seem to mind!!!

i think my charlie is deaf as i clap and he wont flinch- he sleeps by the wishing machine and all sorts lol but he copes fine- his sense of smell makes up for it- if someone has a banana he comes running down the stairs!!!! what a gannet!

Is Jaffa a lop? I think lops naturally have a harder time hearing as their earholes are covered by their ears. Mini can hear but not as well as my uppy eared two.

Yes Jaffa is a minilop. I keep meaning to put some pictures of him up here as (obviously) he is gorgeous. Although very moulty at the moment.

I just feel so evil when I startle him!

Yes Jaffa is a minilop. I keep meaning to put some pictures of him up here as (obviously) he is gorgeous. Although very moulty at the moment.

I just feel so evil when I startle him!

Are you considering getting him a friend? Maybe a uppy ear bun would help 'hear' for him.

Smudge is a minilop too... I was aware that lops hearing is not great but smudges hearing really does take the biscuit!!!,

Are you considering getting him a friend? Maybe a uppy ear bun would help 'hear' for him.

Absolutely - I am searching right now! The nearest rescue only has ONE (!) bunny in currently and it's a boy so I need to wait or look further afield. But I don't drive... so it's a bit tricky.

Jaffy & psb by KMazzy, on Flickr

Next challenge is teaching him to drink from a bowl!

Don't entirely rule out a m-m bond, they can work out really well. About a year or two before I lost Mischa (m) I tried to bond my four together, he and Smudge (m) were the easy part! It was the girls who ended up breaking the bond.

Back