• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help ! X

Freddie218

New Kit
Had my rabbit out just now and usually his quiet and sits on my lap quiet shy today he was trying to jump off me or looking for a way off. It seamed like he was about to bite my jumper even though I had some cabbage for him !

What do I do to stop him from doing this ??

When I put him back in his hutch he did a big thump when I put the cabbage in his hutch he did another loud thump !

Feel like he hates me :( x

Many rabbits do not enjoy being picked up - it is just the way they are.
Is he neutered?
Does he have a large run attached to a large hutch so he is getting plenty of space and exercise?
They usually thump because they are frightened/distressed in some way.

When you first brought him home and sat him on your knee he probably sat still because he was nervous. Now he's getting used to you and his new surroundings he's feeling a bit more confident and that's why he's looking for a way to get down!

As Babsie said, rabbits usually don't like being picked up. That's not to say they don't like human affection, it just has to be on ground level. If he bites your jumper while looking for a way off your knee he's only trying to tell you he wants to get down. They often use nips to communicate, don't take offense to it!

My rabbits flick their back legs (a sign of disapproval) after I put them down, on the rare occasions that I do pick them up. Your rabbit is thumping because he's worried you're going to pick him up again when you go near him.

You should spend as much time as possible on the floor with him and don't pick him up unless it's absolutely necessary, e.g. for a vets visit or to check his bum. He will gradually start to come to you, sniff you, and eventually climb all over you, especially if you have treats for him such as a bit of parsley or small piece of carrot. He'll associate you with getting something nice and this will help you both bond. In my opinion picking him up doesn't help your relationship with the rabbit. Mine are scared of me and even thump when I go near them for about a week after I've picked them up so I avoid it at all costs.

Do u think sitting in his out door run would be okay because if we let him run free in the garden he just seams to find somewhere to hide and dosn't come out. In his pen his more happy jumping about laying down with his legs out. Or would this be invading his space !?

I don't wanna make him more angry :( x

Do u think sitting in his out door run would be okay because if we let him run free in the garden he just seams to find somewhere to hide and dosn't come out. In his pen his more happy jumping about laying down with his legs out. Or would this be invading his space !?

I don't wanna make him more angry :( x

Sitting in his run with him is a brilliant idea. He will get much more used to you and won't be able to resist coming for a sniff! Just let him do what he wants (ie don't try to grab at him, although very tempting) and he will gradually learn to trust you.

Back