• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Over licking his leg

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Woody has been poorly so I have been syringing him critical care.

If a bit goes under his chin he uses his front paws to wipe it away.

His legs were getting pretty crusty from over licking them and cleaning away the CC so I bathed them this this morning. I have noticed that his skin seems quite red - I feel inclined to bandage them?

Do you think that's best? It is nearly at the stage of bleeding I think - should I apply a cream then padding then vet wrap?

Thank you!!

WIthout seeing the skin its impossible to advise. Bandaging may not be appropriate

He'd probably chew it off anyway

Can you post a picture of the sore area ?

I would try to very carefully trim all the wet/soiled fur away and get the area as dry as possible.

I dont think bandaging is a good idea, exposure to fresh air would be better

Once the soiled/wet fur is removed he will probably leave his legs alone.

If the skin looks very inflamed (hard to tell for sure from a photo) applying a little Aloe Vera gel will be soothing.

I would try to very carefully trim all the wet/soiled fur away and get the area as dry as possible.

I dont think bandaging is a good idea, exposure to fresh air would be better

Once the soiled/wet fur is removed he will probably leave his legs alone.

If the skin looks very inflamed (hard to tell for sure from a photo) applying a little Aloe Vera gel will be soothing.

Thank you very much. That does sound like a good treatment plan. What happens if he tries to eat the aloe vera gel?

I am worried that if I trim it all away he will just have skin there and then if he rubs his paws over his face that could cause problems in terms of inflammation?

Thank you very much. That does sound like a good treatment plan. What happens if he tries to eat the aloe vera gel?

I am worried that if I trim it all away he will just have skin there and then if he rubs his paws over his face that could cause problems in terms of inflammation?

Having matted, soiled, damp fur there is far more likely to cause problems

Do be VERY careful if you decide to trim the fur as Bunny skin is thin

By applying only a tiny amount of Aloe Vera Gel and distracting him for a while afterwards means he is unlikely to ingest much of it at all.

Having matted, soiled, damp fur there is far more likely to cause problems

Do be VERY careful if you decide to trim the fur as Bunny skin is thin

By applying only a tiny amount of Aloe Vera Gel and distracting him for a while afterwards means he is unlikely to ingest much of it at all.

Great! I will give it a shot, thanks Jane - as always.

Back