• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need advice

scarlett

Alpha Buck
Benji is in a shed and aviary setup outside, but now that we have lost Scarlett he is in there by himself. I don't know whether to bring him in and get a cage/run for him in the conservatory or let him stay outdoors where he's used to. He is doing well eating everything as usual, playing in the garden etc, i just can't think about getting another bun for him.:(

I'd opt to keep him outside myself but it really depends on the rabbit etc. Why don't you want him to have company?

You could try him inside and see if hes happy? I think he will need your company more if hes on his own now and would be better for you to give him more time if hes in the house. I have my bunny in the dining room and he isnt in a cage he just has a big litter tray and the run of the room. I love it that i can give him a fuss everytime i go into the room and he loves it too. I was thinking about putting them out for the summer but then i wouldnt see them so much (I have 2 bunnies but one is in a cage inside at the mo) :wave:

I don't want to go through all of the upset of losing a bunny again, so will only have benji now, in the summer its not so bad cos he is out in the garden most of the day or coming in the conservatory with me, its just thinking about leaving him there at night, but i dont know if this will make him happier cos everything around him is " normal"?

Perhaps it will be better for him the way it is then if you spend lots of time with him in the day anyway. He would be on his own at night either way. Perhaps when its not so raw for you losing your bunny you may feel different about getting him a friend? xx

After a lot of thought i have decided to keep benji in his shed for the summer with lots of human interaction ( i usually only work 2 afternoons a week), and will bring him in during the winter, does anybody think i am being cruel? I feel all mixed up about it!!

personally i think that having known the company of another bun he will now be very lonely without a friend, especially if he is outside on his own, regardless of how much time you spend with him. but he is your rabbit and you know him best :thumb:

I think you're doing the right thing. As long as Benji seems happy & isn't showing any signs of depression then he will be ok on his own. Let yourself mourn, you might find that after a while, you might change your mind on another bun. Niles lost his brother last month & the worry of whether or not to rebond him made me sick with worry :( he's in the kitchen so is the centre of attention in our house, plus he has playtime in the lounge (we don't have any grass in our garden). He has been binkying for the first time, ever! So I know he's ok. Niles & Frasier have lived in the kitchen since they were about 2 years old so there haven't been any massive changes since Frasier passed.

Don't beat yourself up for not wanting to bond him, if you really can't face having another rabbit then it's not fair to bring another one into your home. x

Back