• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This news made my day today!

Thumper98

Warren Scout
Last winter in Nov/December, my husband and I kept seeing a little wee hedgehog coming to our garden close to the bird feed almost every evening. We thought it strange as it was getting really cold and it was clearly not hibernating. We did some research and found out that hedgies cant hibernate if they dont fatten up enough for the winter especially if they were born too late into the Summer and did not have enough time.

This was her, Herrie (we found out later her gender)

We started to put out cat food to keep Herrie going hoping she would go to sleep on her own. But after 2 weeks and we were due to go on holiday, we decided to bring her to a wildlife rescue centre. Snow was forecast and we were worried. So one evening we took her into our cellar (she pooped all over! :roll:)

And the next day brought her to the rescue centre, where we found out she weighed less than 500g (they need to be 800g - 1 kg to hibernate). We left her there and was told they would contact us in Spring so we come collect her and release her into the woods.

We called the centre today and was told that oops they had forgot to contact us :roll:, BUT the good news was that she had managed to survive the winter, and had already been released on 14th April! :D:D:D love:

I am just so happy that she survived and feel pleased that ive saved a wee life! I know hedgies are rather rare in the UK, but they are still quite common here in Switzerland. I hope she goes on to live a long and happy life! :D

Apologies for long post but this really made my day!

Thats so nice of you, love a happy ending! Her face is so cute. You can get hedgehogs for pets now :wave:

Back