• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination Q

kazz

Alpha Buck
When I got Marley I was on work experience at a vets and he gave me a left over but still in date single myxi vaccination. I know they do a combi one now but Marley had his jab in late January or early Feb. I know he isn't vaccinsted against VHD. Should I wait until the 6 months of the myxi jab is 'up' or would it be better to get him his combi sooner? The vet said the single myxi lasted between 6 and 9 months. Any opinions appreciated :thumb:

yea i would get the combi one now, as far as i know its not a problem to 'over vaccinate' the myxi (but you could check with your vet to be sure)

No it isn't. I found a bunny last year and kept it, and when I took him to be vaccinated I asked my vet would there be a problem if it had already been vaccinated, but he said no, and it was better to have a bit more protection on board than none. My vet is a rabbit only vet as well, so definitely knows his stuff :D

Perfect I'll get him booked in I just didn't want to do him some harm by over vaccinating :thumb:

If he had the single dose Myxi Vaccine relatively recently then your Rabbit may not produce an adequate immune response to the combi vaccine to afford him protection against VHD. So a booster vaccine may be needed

''Special precautions for use
Vaccinate only healthy rabbits.
Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.''

The above quote comes from here

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-58449.html

If he had the single dose Myxi Vaccine relatively recently then your Rabbit may not produce an adequate immune response to the combi vaccine to afford him protection against VHD. So a booster vaccine may be needed

''Special precautions for use
Vaccinate only healthy rabbits.
Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.''

Sorry to hijack but is that a long-term problem? I.e. if they've had any myxi vaccs previously and then have the combi they might not be protected against VHD? Mine have previously had the separate vaccs and then started having the combi this year but would it be better for them to just carry on with the separate ones?

Sorry to hijack but is that a long-term problem? I.e. if they've had any myxi vaccs previously and then have the combi they might not be protected against VHD? Mine have previously had the separate vaccs and then started having the combi this year but would it be better for them to just carry on with the separate ones?

No, it is just with the FIRST dose of the combination Vaccine

Thereafter it is apparently OK :)

I think the problem is only likely to occur if a single dose Myxi vaccine has been given within 2 months prior to giving the Combi Vac. But I am not 100% certain on that and it is not specifically detailed on the Data Sheet.

Back