• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little fella prefers guinea pig cage...

Hales1092

Warren Scout
This is a bit of a weird one, our dwarf has a huge 6ft cage and loads of toys and so much space. But he constantly stamps his feet, and shakes when he is in it? We let him have a run about all the time as he settles down then. But we have a small guinea pig cage we actually used to transport Amber's litter when they where smaller. Now little fella has taken a huge liking to this cage, he'll jump in it and flop around. But it is too small for him?

Do i pretty much put the small cage in storage and not let him in it? Or do i let him use the cage from now on? Baring in mind, he comes out of his cage every morning and every night.

My main concern is how small it is, but he loves it. I know it can't be because of the smell of the other rabbits because it has been washed and sterilised, including all the bars done. I think he just prefers lovely small spaces. As he is now in the little cage under a log tube having a quick snooze.

Advise would be appreciated :)

Sounds like he is a little nervous and the enclosed area feels safe to him. Could you put a smaller shelter in his normal accomodation or attach a pen to the cage he loves so much, so that space is not compromised but he still gets his security. He should adjust to larger spaces as he gets more confident.

is he an indoor rabbit? could you perhaps attach puppy panels to the smaller cage so he still has enough space?

Yes he is an indoor bunny, and i have some spare metal panals that i could attach for him. We've had him for nearly a month now and he has only shown this behaviour in the last week or so, so that's why i have been confused a little. Nothing has changed within the room he is in either.

I think i'll rearrange his set up so that he has his favourite cage open constantly and a closed off space to run around in. As he normally has the run of the living room right now. See if this helps him even more. I moved his wooden bridge/hide into this 6ft cage but it didn't seem to help him one bit. As i usually leave it out on the floor for him to play with when he has free range time.

Some buns seem to prefer a smaller area. George and Gemma both spend a lot of time in their crate - which is quite small. They are rarely shut in there (only for literally a few minutes when I vaccuum the kitchen as Gemma chews the hoover wire) but they voluntarily go in there to snooze frequently.

As they are free range in the kitchen I am happy to let them be in a small space if that is what they are choosing for themselves. I think putting panels around the home your bun has chosen will give him the best of both worlds.

Well i put metal panals around his cage before i left work, meaning he could run in and out of the small cage and it doesn't look like he's been out his cage for long. A few poops on the blanket, thats all! He's asleep under his favourite log bridge, which is a very cute sight :)

Back