• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinated rabbit showing signs of myxo?! UD P12

silverrabbit

Mama Doe
So, this eve I noticed Sorrell's right eye had a weird bumpy swollen area above the eye, so like on the "eyelid" area. I got him late January and he was Vacc'd for myxo in late November and then I had him vacc'd with the combi vac at the end of april (around 10 days ago).

Obviously I was really concerned and on closer inspection I found a small bump on his nose too :cry: OOH vet was useless and said well he's vaccinated and no eye discharge or swollen genitals, so its nothing :? and as he is eating and drinking and bouncing around it's not emergency and made me appt with my vet for the morning.

After getting home and settling him back in I then noticed his left eye also has a puffy area above it :( I still had Metacam and Baytril from his ear infection and castration so rang up OOH vet and asked if I could give him some "just in case" and was told ok. So he has had a dose of each and some veg to nom on.

I'm just SO worried. Is this nodular myxo or could it be full blown even though he is vaccinated? Or is it a reaction to the combi vaccine?

I can't lose my big bear bunny :cry:

Last edited:
I have read on here a few people who have had the combi and their buns have had a reaction (think they have recovered OK). I would ask your vet to notify the manufacturer.

I managed to get the single one done a couple of weeks ago for my 2 but I do know a few friends who have had the combi and their buns have been fine.

Do you know for absolute definite that he was vaccinated in November, as my vet said bunnies that have developed Myxo after jabs, were already unknowingly infected, and so if you know that he was definitely vaccinated, then I am sure you can rule this out. I wouldn't rule out it being something completely different and nothing to do with the vaccine. All 5 of my 'special needs' bunnies have been vaccinated with the new combi and from what my vet has told me, it is actually a lot safer and more effective than the single ones.

I have heard of a few cases of Myxomatosis occurring in Rabbits recently (6-7 days) vaccinated with the new vaccine :? The Rabbits could of course have already been incubating the disease, but I have to admit it is something that concerns me.

I hope that you get on OK at the Vet today. If it is Myxi and she was vaccinated last November too hopefully she will have retained enough immunity to enable her to recover.

Please let us know how you get on xx

ETA- Here's a recent case

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?386913-Young-bun-puffy-eye-UD-02-05-2013-Myxi-(

As far as I can be sure, I was told he was vaccinated at the end of November (I volunteer at the rescue he came from and saw the owners and had a brief convo). Obviously there is no guarantee seeing as they were handing over their bunnies but I can only pray :(

He's still happy within himself and greedy as usual, and got into a temper tantrum at meds time and bit me :roll:

ATM vet thinks it could possibly be a reaction to the vaccine, was told that if their immune system is not fantastic they can present with mild symptoms like fever and lumps/puffiness. As it happens, he had a huge infection in both ears when I got him which went on for a long time, and he was recently castrated too, so perhaps this is the reason.

Vets have been really great this morning and have told me even though they only have morning and eve appts, they will see me this afternoon if anything changes, otherwise he's going for another check up at 5 just so I can have someone other than myself saying things are stable with regards to any new lumps etc.

As it is, he has a puffy lump above each eye and a small bump on his nose, but no scabs or discharge/pus and genitals appear normal size and not red or sore looking.

TBH this has really freaked me out. I had a lot of rabbits done in the past couple of weeks but I still have a few buns to be done and this is the first year i'm using the combi vaccine :( think I will leave out Skye who has ongoing health problems :?

it is very likely to be just a reaction to the vaccine . it says on the nobivac website that this can happen ... we have now had 4 rabbits who reacted in a similar way ... All were fine by 10 to 14 days after the first reaction was seen

Thanks everyone :wave:

Vet was excellent this eve as I was really freaking out, didn't even charge me :love: He said that he highly doubts that it would be Myxo because Sorrell remains well with no fever and is eating and is bouncy. He will be emailing/phoning the manufacturers on Tuesday to make them aware of the reaction.

The lumps haven't changed and he is going to continue to have Metacam to ease any discomfort and if they do increase in size or he becomes ill my vet will start Sorrell on steroid injections. He doesn't want to do this yet because it might effect the vaccine.

Here are a couple of pics:

Can see the puffy lumps on top of his eyes and what I *think* is another lump on his big nosey :(

it's kind of scary; these vaccs are supposed to protect out bunnies not make them ill! i had no probs with the combi vacc for my two, however.

I really dont think steroids are a good idea for treating Myxomatosis :shock:

Steroids suppress the immune system, which is the very last thing Sorrell needs

Maybe you misheard the Vet :?

I really dont think steroids are a good idea for treating Myxomatosis :shock:

Steroids suppress the immune system, which is the very last thing Sorrell needs

Maybe you misheard the Vet :?

Ooooh very possibly :oops: being in tears probably meant I scrambled everything up, idiot me. will ring him in the morning to confirm that I am a plum :lol:

Just a quick update on my big boy....

Seems well in himself, was binkying all over the place in his run today and eating well too. The lumps on his eyes are a bit smaller/ less red but 2 more lumps have appeared on his head at the base of his left ear. The little bump on his nose seems to have gone down as can't see it or feel it much at all.

Vet has said to continue on with Baytril and Metacam and obv if he becomes unwell straight to OOH vet over the bank holiday.

Praying he will be ok :( with my anxiety issues my mind is just plagued with horrible images and general panic but this won't do me or Sorrell any good so just spoiling him atm :(

Back