• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Happy she's pooing on the carpet!

Delta

Warren Scout
Well I never thought id say that!! Delta was spayed today and seems to be doing ok.
Bought her home at 3.30 and after 3 hours with nothing to eat and no poo what so ever I was panicking. Phoned the vets and they said to try and tempt her with something yummy and if not bring her in so sent my partner to the shop to get some apple. She wolfed it down and as if by magic... poop! :p She is not happy with her cage though because ive put shredded paper in there and she hates it! She keeps trying to re-arrange it but it's just not to her liking! I know that because she keeps pushing the paper about and then thumping lol. Plus she normally has hay everywhere in her cage but ive bought her a hay rack to put some in and she is not impressed! :lol:
Anyway... after feeding her i noticed she was grinding her teeth and not in a purring way which isn't right for her. The vet gave me Loxicom for pain relief 1ml once a day for 5 days.
Although she does seem better, she is currently hopping round the living room checking I havent moved anything whilst she's been away, she looks very stiff moving. Is this normal or could she still be in pain? Could i possibly give her half her meds in the morning and some in the afternoon or is it best to just give it as the vets said all in one go?
I feel awful having had this done to her, the last thing I want is for her to be on pain!

She is currently eating the hay straight from the bag as the hay rack obviously isn't big enough / good enough / Delta worthy :lol: (She can't get in it)

Also someone said you cant put newspaper in rabbits trays????

I'm not sure about the newspaper but I would ring the vets and ask their advice about her grinding her teeth.

They do tend to feel a little sorry for themselves after a spay. I would collect some dandelion leaves and grass and maybe try some herbs such as parsley to encourage her too eat. When my rabbit was speyed it took her days to recover properly. i ended up syringe feeding her some recovery sachets and eventually she started eating on her own.

Newspaper is fine for lining the litter tray though I would avoid hay and sawdust for now until her wound heals so she doesn't get bits stuck to her wound. Have you got a fleecy blanket that you could put in for her if she doesn't like sleeping on the newspaper?

Good luck I'm sure she will perk up just make sure she is eating something and if she stops eating make sure you take her back to your vets straight away.

Well she's just lunged at me and bitten me something that she has never done before! I really wish I hadn't of had her done now. I don't know if it's coz she's in pain or if she's angry at me because I was the one that took her (i might just be being a bit over sensitive about that though?)
She seems to be eating ok now but is still very stiff hopping and occasionally she's walking with her back legs. I feel so sorry for her. What have I done?!

I felt the same when I had my rabbit speyed she seemed so poorly and angry but don't worry she will get better and then be in a better mood with you. I don't think she is angry with you but more not feeling well so a bit grumpy!

When I first had Simba everywhere was so clean as he's so clean and litter trained etc. Then after he was so ill last year I started doing anything to keep him occupied and happy. Instead of a tray in a cage (he never lived in cage, I just kept tray in there to catch errant poops) it's now on my carpet and I have another tray in bedroom (this if course is his favourite tray). I have about 15 seagrass huts dotted around and linked up for exploration. I long ago gave up any aspirations to be house proud. Simba thinks it's great though and if he's happy I'm happy.

Back