• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor bunny in terrible state UPDATE 4/5

bunkin

Warren Veteran
I am distraught. Went to my neighbours and they are looking after a rabbit that belongs to their friends daughter. My neighbours are the ones I got my bun off because they weren't looking after him properly and didn't want him so fo them to be so concerned for this bun they are looking after says alot.

This poor rabbit is lop. It is uneutered male in a rodent cage:shock::shock: and normally kept in a garage with no windows.

It has horrible weeping eye with green pus.
Terrible skin lesions with dreadful dandruff.
Nails are so overgrown they are curling upwards ( neighbour has trimmed some)
One back foot nails are all broken and lose and he is not walking properly
His bum is wet with huge lumps of poo stuck to fur.

He is the sweetest rabbit who my husband cuddles for an hour.

We then came home and took off all our clothes and put straight into washing machine before going anywhere near our housebun.

The owners don't want the rabbit they asked if my neighbour would have him but they are not willing to spend money on him or keep him.

I soooooooo want to keep him and make him better but husband is saying no. He has agreed that we could pay vets to get sorted if someone else could rehome him.

I know I live in cumbria but would be willing to travel for him to go to a good home.

Last edited:
Oh how awful, poor bunny :cry: maybe you could take him off them just to get him out of there, get him sorted then find him a new home? I'm sure someone on here could help somehow x

Poor bunny. :( At least he has you looking out for him - really hope he can be suitably rehomed. xx

will your husband not let you just get him out of there and treated and well and then find a new home for him? Otherwise he may die waiting.

Much of what he has may be quite quick to sort out with some intensive care.

He will stand much more of a chance of finding a new home when he is well again - I have done this on several occassions.

will your husband not let you just get him out of there and treated and well and then find a new home for him? Otherwise he may die waiting.

Much of what he has may be quite quick to sort out with some intensive care.

He will stand much more of a chance of finding a new home when he is well again - I have done this on several occassions.

Agree with this I think its best to get him out and to safety.

We would take him here but we are so far away we couldn't get to him quickly. I am so sorry as we really want to help x

Well husband has agreed that if my neighbour is willing to keep rabbit for a couple of weeks we will take it to vet and get it all sorted:roll: hopefully and then will try and rehome it.
If push comes to shove once he is free of anything transferrable to our housebun we could try him as a houserabbit in a different part of the house away from our housebun ( two males not a hope of bonding!).
But would prefer to rehome him if possible ( he has a lovely sweet nature and loved cuddles).
Am ringing my neighbour tomorow morning and fingers crossed they agree.
We don't want to bring him into our house in his rodent cage while he is possibly infectious but they are keeping him in their garden shed and another couple of weeks won't make any difference.

Hope this poor boy can be helped.

Perhaps if you explained to your hubby that once the bun is out of there and is cared for properly, he'll have a much better chance at being re-homed so will be 'off your hands' quicker ;)

Good luck to you and bun :wave:

Hope this poor boy can be helped.

Perhaps if you explained to your hubby that once the bun is out of there and is cared for properly, he'll have a much better chance at being re-homed so will be 'off your hands' quicker ;)

Good luck to you and bun :wave:

Hubby is quite happy for us to sort him out and then hopefully rehome him, he's a big softie really and I knew he could not bear to think of this bunny suffering and not getting any vet care.

First hurdle is tomorow when I will ask my neighbour to ask the owners if they would let us rehome him. Everything hinges on this.

IF they say no then I will ring rspca once he is back home with them and report them in the hope it does some good.

I hope you can get the bunny somewhere safe so he can get the love and attention he needs.

Did you say the owners don't want him?
If they don't just say you will take him....don't say you're going to rehome him, I doubt they'd care about him once he's with you anyway so they will never know :)

Personally I'd be talking to the RSPCA at the same time as trying to get your neighbour to get the owners to give him up.
Take pictures and I'm sure they should be able to try them for neglect and not giving him medical attention.
Surely they can't say as bunny is being fed and watered there's nothing they can do?
As he has visible problems with claws and eyes.
I really hope whatever happens he get's sorted out poor bub xxxx

I am going to take lots of photos in next few days so that if necessary I can go to rspca if they refuse to rehome. My neighbour is going to offer to rehome him as she thinks they will rehome to them but not to a stranger. Once they agree then we can take it from there.
Already have two offers of a home from the wondeful people on here.
Going to be a nerve racking weekend waiting to hear!

I hope the poor bunny gets a good home soon.

Although you might be able to bond him to your bun when neutered, my friend has 2 unrelated neutered males who she managed to bond without any problems, and they are completely devoted to each other.

I am going to take lots of photos in next few days so that if necessary I can go to rspca if they refuse to rehome. My neighbour is going to offer to rehome him as she thinks they will rehome to them but not to a stranger. Once they agree then we can take it from there.
Already have two offers of a home from the wondeful people on here.
Going to be a nerve racking weekend waiting to hear!

even if they do say they'll regime him I still think you should xo tact rspca.
Its horrendous they've managed to let him get to this state.
Hopefully they can bam them from having bunnies again, and stop it happening to another bunny.Xxx

Back