• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Plz help

shakiraminilop

Warren Scout
My rabbit Shakira had vaccination last year with Myxi and I think Viral Haemorrhagic. She had Myxi symptoms they thought she had it and was put on anti biopics recoverd but the Injection caused it and she was very ill i have her booked in for tomoz and now thinking shud I let her go thru I Agen ? How essential is it ? Help plz

im no expert but i would say that a reaction to the vaccination is unfortunate but the alternative is putting her at risk of 2 fatal diseases

yes myxi can be transmitted by flies/mosquitoes etc which can get inside and VHD is transmitted by a whole lot of things (like i said, no expert!) but you can bring it in on the soles of your feet, other pets etc can also transmit it.

A reaction to the jab is unlucky. Personally I would have it done again tomorrow (the vet clearly has no issues with it) and if she has another reaction then I would think hard about what to do next year.

I would not leave a rabbit unvaccinated unless advised to do so by a vet.

was it the combined one she had last time or separates? some bunnies got ill from one of the individual myxi vaccs so if you switch to the combined one maybe she will be ok. i can see your worry though. :(

Back