• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the best type of litter tray and litter?

traceyxxx

Young Bun
What is the best type of litter tray and litter? what is your technique to train them and whats the advantages and disadvantages?

I'm using megazirb at the moment but it comes out the tray with them and makes a mess. I prefer Catobiolet it holds smells better too.

Advantages less cleaning!

We use under bed storage boxes, a big wad of newspaper then lots of hay. It soaks up wee quite well and I haven't noticed any smell aslong as you clean it out often.
When we first got the buns, we got them little litter trays in their base and they used them, but they weren't big enough for both of them, now they've just learnt on their own really. We have two under bed storage boxes, one in the living room and one in our bedroom filled with hay for them. They usually just go toilet where they eat. :)

Some people use megazorb which is supposedly quite good too. :wave:

32L and 62L storage boxes, (32L for my outdoors, 62L for my indoors), lined with newspaper and filled with hay.

I can't say I taught mine to use their trays as they took to them straight away.

Underbed storage box 32l (will get 62l ones soon) lined with newspaper, finocard (dust free teenie pieces of cardboard) and hay. Its lovely and aborbent but does spread around a bit, so does the hay.

Definitely the storage boxes like people have said :thumb: I had a potting tray in one of my hutches but they kept digging out the litter and wearing over the edge, just got a deeper storage box and its one of those 'why didn't I get this ages ago' moments! No wee over the sides, no digging litter out :D I use a layer of newspaper, a layer of wood pellet litter (really good for avoiding smells and very absorbent) topped with hay.

I find wood pellet litter good and doesn't smell, it's cheaper if you buy the stuff for cats, as the stuff aimed at small pets is far more expensive and its the same stuff!

I find wood pellet litter good and doesn't smell, it's cheaper if you buy the stuff for cats, as the stuff aimed at small pets is far more expensive and its the same stuff!

I get the cat stuff but it says 'also safe for small animals' I buy it from the range or more recently iv used pets at home value range and seems pretty good aswell :wave:

Back