• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starfish U/D More photos Post 16

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
I know a lot of you will remember her but I just wanted to share her again. Starfish was an angel bunny that came to me through Jill at Honeybunny's. She was a lady who had suffered and needed a safe and happy home to be nurtured in. Jill got her from a breeder who had no use for her because she had killed two litters. She was outside in a dog crate which was wet and mucky so you can imagine the state she was in. Jill got her to safety then posted some pics of her. It was love at first sight and I was desperate to rehome her. She had awful urine scald, her coat was matted and she needed to be spayed. Once all these issues were resolved I was able to adopt her.

My husband had a meeting in Leeds so I travelled down with him and went to collect Starfish. Poor Angie65 had agreed to have her to make collecting her easier and we had an extremely hurried meeting in Angie's drive as she belted home in her lunch hour for the handover. Startfish managed the journey home and after settling was happily bonded with my pair, Floppy and Millie.

It wasn't long before she developed a mass on her shoulder and so she underwent surgery to remove it, Despite my wonderful vet having taken all the tumour away, she was soon to develop more tumours, one of which was pushing into her brain. On top of this she was in acute kidney failure and having daily fluids. We had to make the awful decision to put her to sleep but I am so priviliged to have had such a special bunny in my life and I miss her everyday when go out to the rabbits. What I wouldn't give for one more cuddle.

2011-09-15162343_zps6373a663.jpg

2011-09-01103520_zpsf82b60b7.jpg

2011-09-01102757_zps5e0555b4.jpg

We all loved her but my younger son had a wonderful bond with her. This was taken at the point he realised we woud not have her for very much longer. A special moment but it makes me happy to see how much compassion he has and that, as so many of us know, there are kids out there who dont get fed up with the rabbits in ther lives.

03052011487_zpsb25ce6e9.jpg

This is how I remember her at her happiest, out having a wander and a munch in the garden.

2011-09-26180001_zpsa5618aa2.jpg

2011-09-30150531_zpsadc088e0.jpg

Last edited:
I remember Starfish well and how you and your family brought so much joy and quality into her life. Just letting her know that not all people will discard an animal that does not live up to their wants was probably the most meaningful aspect of her all too short life.

It is one of the real quandaries of life that we are given the opportunity of improving the lot of these unwanted and neglected animals and yet their stay with us can be so short. So many seem to leave us before our aspirations for them can be fulfilled; leaving us with wonderful memories, yet always left wondering what might have been.

I also remember Starfish well, but was unaware of the severity of her past circumstances.:cry:

I honestly believe, certainly from the abused animals I have had the priviledge to live with, that once they realise "Hey these humans are different. They're kind, respect me, love me, & give me nice things like a hop in the garden", they enjoy the present to the full.
I sometimes say that they don't let the past rob them from a second of the pleasure of the present - which was a valuable lesson to me when I was younger.

I know that you all gave her a wonderful life. Although it's very sad for us that it was so short, somehow I don't think she would see it that way.
She was so special & so courageous.

Beautiful wee Starfish you are so missed by so many :cry:
I cannot add to the eloquence already expressed. But just want to say I remember her, and celebrate her life with you Ali.
((((((((Hugs)))))))))) xxxx

I remember her well :) She was one lucky lady to have found you and your family.
She definitely went off to the bridge feeling like a special loved girl x

She looks absolutely stunning. She couldn't have been better cared for than with you. Wonderful photo of her with your son.

It is so lovely that she is remembered so fondly by people. :love::love: Thanks for your comments, they have made my day! I don't know why I got so sentimental about her last night, just sometimes it hits like a wave and I needed to share.

I dont know her (must have been before my RU time) but omg shes absolutely gorgeous!

I would have loved a wee cuddle wit that fluff ball :love::love::love:

I am so sorry, I really hope your son is alright, it's awful to lose a pet but I think it's so much worse seeing the impact it has on a child, love to you both xx

I remember Starfish and am in tears looking at how happy she was with you.

It is so wonderful to see a bunny being a bunny and living in the moment and so hard when they have to leave us - a real mixture of pleasure and pain.

I hope she is having a wonderful time at the Bridge xxx

She really was a special rabbit and was lucky to be saved and have a loving home, even if it was for a shorter time than we'd hoped. She stayed in my heart for sure and I expect she is looking down on you Ali with thanks xx
Here is the pic that alerted me to her :cry:

her underneath on arrival :censored:

and just before she left here for her journey to Ali

and for those that don't know she was named due to this parable

One day an old man was walking along the beach. It was low tide, and the sand was littered with thousands of stranded starfish that the water had carried in and then left behind.

The man began walking very carefully so as not to step on any of the beautiful creatures. Since the animals still seemed to be alive, he considered picking some of them up and putting them back in the water, where they could resume their lives.

The man knew the starfish would die if left on the beach's dry sand but he reasoned that he could not possibly help them all, so he chose to do nothing and continued walking.

Soon afterward, the man came upon a small child on the beach who was frantically throwing one starfish after another back into the sea. The old man stopped and asked the child, "What are you doing?"

"I'm saving the starfish," the child replied.

"Why waste your time?... There are so many you can't save them all so why does it matter?", asked the man.

Without hesitation, the child picked up another starfish and tossed the starfish back into the water... "It matters to this one," the child said.

Last edited:
Jill, thank you so much for adding those photos. I am using a new laptop and don't have access to those photos. It is amazing seeing how quickly you helped her back to health from such an incredibly horrible life. :love:

I love that parable and often think of it when I am in situations where people tell me "why do it? You can't save/help them all!"

A truly beautiful bunny Starfish was and despite her sad beginning, so glad she got to experience love, care and affection. I am sure she's looking down from rainbow bridge and smiling/binkying as she reads this hommage to her from her beloved human family! :love::love:

What a beautiful little rabbit. I saw once similar to her on the cottontails website the other day. So glad you were able to give her a loving home. God she was sweet :love:

Back